Let a really good one go today...

timberjack86

No disrespect but if I ever get to that point I would probably quit hunting. I understand different circumstances than most but I like to hunt deer in general with a possibility for a buck like that one day. I still get excited shooting a doe. Also I'm for whatever makes you happy!

redblood

Perspective is the single word that encompasses this thread. You are blessed to have lots of quality land with like minded neighbors. Most of us are not in that situation and never can or will be. So our perspective is different than yours. You pass up a giant and feel good about maturing as a hunter, knowing there are bigger fish to fry. A lot of guys hunting in TN are mature hunters who've hunted a lifetime & never seen a deer like that because they don't exist in their area, so they'd feel good killing that buck. For them it would represent a pinnacle, a crowning achievement to reward their lifelong hunt. For you the accomplishment was not killing him because you're after bigger ones. We all see things differently. No right or wrong, just different. Perspective.
I agree with everything you said except i think this deer of this caliber can and do exist in most areas. Maybe not in high numbers, but are there. It certainly helps if people are willing to pass them, but some survive everywhere

redblood

I have certainly learned more about deer since i started passing older age class bucks. Years back i would get my gun up as soon as i saw them and shoot them in the 1st opening. But now i can truely marvel at them as they glide through.

redblood

No disrespect but if I ever get to that point I would probably quit hunting. I understand different circumstances than most but I like to hunt deer in general with a possibility for a buck like that one day. I still get excited shooting a doe. Also I'm for whatever makes you happy!
I just try to keep in mind the finality of my decision to shoot and remember how amazing he could be next yr. although this isnt a buck that i had alot of experience with. But he is definitely in my area now. Hunted a different farm this morning and got cell cam photos of him all morning

Attachments

• 8F17C2D9-1A4C-4A55-8058-ECD915AC3DD7.png
    8F17C2D9-1A4C-4A55-8058-ECD915AC3DD7.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 96

Ski

I agree with everything you said except i think this deer of this caliber can and do exist in most areas. Maybe not in high numbers, but are there. It certainly helps if people are willing to pass them, but some survive everywhere

I think there's potential in a lot more areas, but potential and reality don't often coincide. I'd say anywhere with good cover, ample food, and low enough pressure to allow a higher age class, can have deer like that. The problem is that its incredibly rare to have that set of criteria. Most hunters will never experience anything like that, nor can they.

There's only so much land, and its not divided equally among everybody. You are fortunate to not only have a chunk, but to also have like minded neighbors. Most folks with land have to deal with less than ideal neighboring conditions.

Sam Davis

You are lucky to be able to let a buck that size walk. We let smaller bucks walk hoping they will make it. Idiots were I live are not like a lot of us. We let 2 eights walk that have good racks but are only about 11/2 years old. Chance of them making it are about 50%.

rem270

Great buck. I admire you for making that personal decision. I was just having a convo with my brother last week that I could kill a decent buck every year and while the thrill would be there when the deer walked out and when I shot it would be shortly over because I've killed bigger and have personal goals set for myself. I just can't make myself kill a buck just to burn a tag or because I haven't killed one in a while.

Although I wouldn't have passed up that caliber of a buck right now I hope to get to that point I can one day. I don't get into the hunting shows at all but one thing I heard Waddell say once that has stuck is you can't killed a great buck by always killing a good buck.

redblood

Great buck. I admire you for making that personal decision. I was just having a convo with my brother last week that I could kill a decent buck every year and while the thrill would be there when the deer walked out and when I shot it would be shortly over because I've killed bigger and have personal goals set for myself. I just can't make myself kill a buck just to burn a tag or because I haven't killed one in a while.

Although I wouldn't have passed up that caliber of a buck right now I hope to get to that point I can one day. I don't get into the hunting shows at all but one thing I heard Waddell say once that has stuck is you can't killed a great buck by always killing a good buck.
I am not a big waddell fan but i love that statement!

Boone25/06

I figured an update to this post was coming soon. If I'm not mistaken on another post it was mentioned that the neighbor killed this buck after red blood let it go. Sorry to hear that. Would like to see some kill pics if the neighbor sent any.

Latest posts