Let a really good one go today...

redblood

Its amazing how you change as a hunter. I killed my last buck in December of last yr. Before that is was November of 2016. Over the past few yrs i have let alot of great deer go. This morning it was a buck named the water tower buck. He was a buck that i knew of but didnt use my farm much. He also wasnt a target buck for me. He came in with a doe at 12 yards this morning and came back 2 more times over the next 90 minutes. I couldnt run him away. Beautiful 10 pt. I guess i am getting soft but he just wasn't what I wanted and i felt no need to end the life of such a majestic animal. Their are better deer on the farm and their is one or 2 who could change my mind. He would have been hard to pass with my bow. Here are few pics (i have great video but dont know how to upload) i also put a pic from sept 1st of him.

Attachments

• A335137A-5D99-4B4C-B2DB-9C7D7D0C0F9B.png
    A335137A-5D99-4B4C-B2DB-9C7D7D0C0F9B.png
    426.8 KB · Views: 1,847
  • 22EEE88D-A203-4C2C-A9B6-DAC0AB672D00.png
    22EEE88D-A203-4C2C-A9B6-DAC0AB672D00.png
    715.4 KB · Views: 1,635
  • A40C8C5C-4A24-4999-980F-B09D52316575.png
    A40C8C5C-4A24-4999-980F-B09D52316575.png
    777.7 KB · Views: 1,392
  • C70A4DBA-B3BC-4099-8A36-A511811D1B1C.png
    C70A4DBA-B3BC-4099-8A36-A511811D1B1C.png
    607.6 KB · Views: 1,628

DoubleRidge

I wouldn't say your getting soft....I'd say that goals change in your journey as a deer hunter....and having two other bucks on the farm that are bigger motivates you to keep hunting......what an awesome opportunity to actually watch a mature buck do his thing....and you have pictures to remind you that you could have taken him if you had wanted too.

redblood

Its amazing how you change as a hunter. I killed my last buck in December of last yr. Before that is was November of 2016. Over the past few yrs i have let alot of great deer go. This morning it was a buck named the water tower buck. He was a buck that i knew of but didnt use my farm much. He also wasnt a target buck for me. He came in with a doe at 12 yards this morning and came back 2 more times over the next 90 minutes. I couldnt run him away. Beautiful 10 pt. I guess i am getting soft but he just wasn't what I wanted and i felt no need to end the life of such a majestic animal. Their are better deer on the farm and their is one or 2 who could change my mind. He would have been hard to pass with my bow. Here are few pics (i have great video but dont know how to upload) i also put a pic from sept 1st of him.

redblood

Thanks. I always felt it takes no skill to pull the trigger on a deer. They are a big target that are easy to hit. I get as much satisfaction now at knowing i could have killed it. Figuring out the pattern and hanging the stand in the right spot was the challenge, not pulling the trigger. Taking a life is a serious decision for me. I pray that i never do it to impress other with a kill, check a box, post a number or because i want to test out a new gun or load. Especially on a deer that took half a decade to reach this point. The later in the yr i get more selective because i know odds sway back in their favor with each passing day. Now, there are targets i have that i may very well may shoot. I guess i will know when i see them.

redblood

You're a blessed man to have property where you can let bucks of that caliber walk. You've done well and he gets to pass those genetics on again another season. Hope you can get a shot at one of your better bucks this season, good luck!
Indeed i am. It takes big parcels of land and Selective neighbors with common goals.

Ski

Perspective is the single word that encompasses this thread. You are blessed to have lots of quality land with like minded neighbors. Most of us are not in that situation and never can or will be. So our perspective is different than yours. You pass up a giant and feel good about maturing as a hunter, knowing there are bigger fish to fry. A lot of guys hunting in TN are mature hunters who've hunted a lifetime & never seen a deer like that because they don't exist in their area, so they'd feel good killing that buck. For them it would represent a pinnacle, a crowning achievement to reward their lifelong hunt. For you the accomplishment was not killing him because you're after bigger ones. We all see things differently. No right or wrong, just different. Perspective.

Latest posts