Length of Season - TN

Stlbaseball1

I'm concerned with the length of season due to the push back and the potential for more hunters to effect hens on the nest at a vulnerable time as well as the possibility to disturb young poults (I mean we are talking about the end of May). If season is going to continue to open mid April I am all for a 4-week season (at most), especially if the limit remains at 2 turkeys. What say you?

Last edited:

BamaHudson

To be honest I feel like the season is effectively a 4 week season by default due to the later opening date. I'm sure a few folks will be out wandering around the last week of May but I'm interested to see how many people are still trying at that point that haven't already tagged out and of those folks how successful they are at getting a gobbler that late.

AT Hiker

To be honest I feel like the season is effectively a 4 week season by default due to the later opening date. I'm sure a few folks will be out wandering around the last week of May but I'm interested to see how many people are still trying at that point that haven't already tagged out and of those folks how successful they are at getting a gobbler that late.
A mid May roost gobbler fired up, with no hens is like a kamakazi pilot coming in hot hyped up in meth.
Get close, few yelps before fly down and they land in your lap.
Should be illegal.

megalomaniac

personally, I'd prefer the season to be shortened to 4 weeks, mid April through mid May....

That being said, I would much prefer the season opening stay mid April regardless of the length of season. The only reason this year the season was extended to the end of May was to not take any opportunity (number of days afield) away from TN hunters. But with the limit reduction, most hardcore hunters are gonna be tagged out in the first 2 weeks regardless.

BamaHudson

A mid May roost gobbler fired up, with no hens is like a kamakazi pilot coming in hot hyped up in meth.
Should be illegal.
This ain't necessarily wrong but a mid may roost gobbler fired up on public land might as well be bigfoot

TheLBLman

I don't think many people will be turkey hunting after mid-May.

Regardless when the season opens, the bulk of the collective hunting (and the killed turkeys) is done during the 1st 10 days of the season. When it closed in mid-May (last year & prior), those last 2 weeks, there was relatively little hunter participation (and the limit was 3 or 4 instead of now 2).

This year, with a 2-bird limit, and the last two weeks of May being hotter weather, more weeds, more snakes, more insects, there will be far fewer hunters afield than the last two weeks of times past.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I cant believe im gonna say this, but yes 4 weeks is plenty! As much as i love it ,any fudd out there should be able to find one in 4 weeks.
Anything more than 4 weeks is ridiculous IMO.
Should be illegal.

I hope you're right, and I plan on putting this to the test if I have to! It's actually pretty normal for the birds in my holler to roost gobble until June, just usually they don't roost on my place. This year I've had one roosting on my place fairly regularly, so I'm hoping for another chance at him.

Setterman

I'm not going to hunt past mid May And i hunt high elevation mountain birds. At some point the woods get too dang jungle like for my liking. I'm totally fine with a 4 week season.

This has been the worst season I've had since my very first season in 1993. Most morning are silent, I mean zero gobbles. I've worked two birds, both in KY and they're both dead. I haven't had a TN bird answer me yet, nor heard one close enough to even call at. I am in shock how bad hunting is in my area.

bowhunterfanatic

I'm not going to hunt past mid May And i hunt high elevation mountain birds. At some point the woods get too dang jungle like for my liking. I'm totally fine with a 4 week season.

This has been the worst season I've had since my very first season in 1993. Most morning are silent, I mean zero gobbles. I've worked two birds, both in KY and they're both dead. I haven't had a TN bird answer me yet, nor heard one close enough to even call at. I am in shock how bad hunting is in my area.
Do you think that the birds just aren't there or something else going on?

Southern Sportsman

Damn.

WilcoKen

Describes my season as well. The birds are there, I've seen plenty. But they have zero interest. And I will not stalk etc. a turkey.

tnanh

I'm concerned with the length of season due to the push back and the potential for more hunters to effect hens on the nest at a vulnerable time as well as the possibility to disturb young poults (I mean we are talking about the end of May). If season is going to continue to open mid April I am all for a 4-week season (at most), especially if the limit remains at 2 turkeys. What say you?
I am all for your idea.

Latest posts