Leaving tomorrow for Colorado ML elk!!!

megalomaniac

Catching the first flight to Colorado in the morning out of New Orleans!

My buddy has been out there bowhunting for a week and a half. In that time, he's into 50 head of elk in our honeyhole with a BIG 6x7 or 7x7, another BIG 6x6 and a couple of satellite 5x's and small 6x's and a few raghorns and a multitude of cows. He's had the biggest bull at 125 yards, and the big 6x at 150 yards, but hasn't been able to get within in bow range.

According to him, they are absolutely screaming right now. Saturday morning, I'm hoping to blast one of the two biggest bulls with my ML, and the only thing going against me is the sheer number of elk and their vocalizations... which means that the locals know they're there, and which means that if I'm not the first to pull the trigger Sat morning the elk will scatter and be almost impossible to locate the rest of the trip.

Fortunately, he's got another herd of 30 pinned down in a very remote location which is difficult to access in case of excess hunting pressure on the primary herd.

Gonna be in the low 20's Sat morning with almost no wind... perfect conditions! Big stinkie or bust this year!!!!

tellico4x4

Good luck, rut always seems to get in high gear around Sept 10 in Co. You should hit it perfect.

I'll be leaving next Fri for a 3 week "western swing". First to KS for ML deer; then picking my 12 & 14 yr old grandsons up at Denver airport and take them up to WY for antelope; drop them back off at airport and then elk in CO the first week of Oct.

Had knee replacement a couple of mos ago, so blew off bow hunting elk this year. Will be using a rifle for the first time since 1988, kind of feels like cheating...

4onaside

tellico4x4 said:
Good luck, rut always seems to get in high gear around Sept 10 in Co. You should hit it perfect.

I'll be leaving next Fri for a 3 week "western swing". First to KS for ML deer; then picking my 12 & 14 yr old grandsons up at Denver airport and take them up to WY for antelope; drop them back off at airport and then elk in CO the first week of Oct.

Had knee replacement a couple of mos ago, so blew off bow hunting elk this year. Will be using a rifle for the first time since 1988, kind of feels like cheating...
Hey Tellico, three weeks from right now I should be somewhere in the vicinity of Goodland, Kansas westbound to Limon,Co for the goats. As soon as I'm successful(or IF I'm successful, lol),I'm headed up to Wy unit 72 to stumble around on the walkin areas. By that time, all of your people will be long gone. So run some of the antelope over on to the public domain. Good luck to you and your grandsons.

4onaside

Mega, I'm close to the end of the line as far as the alpine elk hunts are concerned. But am there always in spirit. I'm confident for you since your buddy has already done the scouting, and you will have a much more efficient weapon in your hands this time. Good luck pardner.

tellico4x4

Hey Tellico, three weeks from right now I should be somewhere in the vicinity of Goodland, Kansas westbound to Limon,Co for the goats. As soon as I'm successful(or IF I'm successful, lol),I'm headed up to Wy unit 72 to stumble around on the walkin areas. By that time, all of your people will be long gone. So run some of the antelope over on to the public domain. Good luck to you and your grandsons.[/quote]

Will have the boys in Unit 72 from 9/29 - 10/2, Camping at the Quality Inn.
Good luck to you in Co & Wy!

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Be sure to post a report when you get back. It will help in holding me over for 5 more weeks before I'm out there.

Latest posts