Lazy man's potatoes

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
Since it is not that long before potatoe planting time; I thought I would share this;

I discovered an easy may to grow and harvest potatoes many years ago. Do not plant them in the traditional way. Simply get your soil ready, fertilize it, and then rake the fertilizer in. Lay the potaotes on top of the soil and then cover with about a foot of straw. I put tomatoe sticks on the straw to hold it down until a few rains pack it down.

The potatoes grow as normal, but when it is time to harvest...........NO DIGGING! I simply rake the straw back with a pitchfork and pick the potatoes up.

You will have to water the straw occasionally to keep it moist, but this method is sooooooooooooo easy. I have done this for about 10 years now and will never go back to the traditional way of planting potatoes. I don't know if all potatoe varieties will grow like this, but red potatoes love the straw method.

FULLDRAWXX75

Stovepipe said:
Cajun Man here at work told me to stack up some old tires.

start sets in one tire, add some dirt-

as the vines grow, keep adding a bit of soil and a tire. After you get about 5 or 6 tires up, your time will be about up and ready for harvest.

Then, just knock them tires over and viola-there be your taters. NO hoeing, forking or weeding.

You can do the same thing in a plastic garbage can, very simple......We recycle the dirt into the compost pipe and reuse it next season.

FDXX75

Rowdy

tndrbstr said:
I was helping my daddy plant taters one time and noticed that every time he would toss a slip in the ground he would step on it..? :confused: ...Well I asked him why he was doin that, and he told me that if you done that then the potatoes would grow as big as your foot! :crazy: ...I thought about it for a while and it sounded good to me..so after studyin a while longer I asked him why didn't he just set on em and we wouldn't have to plant as many!! :grin: ,...After my arse quit hurting I figured I just wasn't quite the gardner that dad was!! :D :D
:D :D :D

Tiny

Rowdy said:
tndrbstr said:
I was helping my daddy plant taters one time and noticed that every time he would toss a slip in the ground he would step on it..? :confused: ...Well I asked him why he was doin that, and he told me that if you done that then the potatoes would grow as big as your foot! :crazy: ...I thought about it for a while and it sounded good to me..so after studyin a while longer I asked him why didn't he just set on em and we wouldn't have to plant as many!! :grin: ,...After my arse quit hurting I figured I just wasn't quite the gardner that dad was!! :D :D
:D :D :D

LOL

AllOutdoors

I used the barrel method. Cut it to thirds and attach to one another with small strap plates. Once your potatoes have made, cover the top. Just take a ring off as you need potatoes. The tires work ok too.

Latest posts