Laurel Hill

jlmustain

I know it's not within the bounds of etiquette to ask for too much information from hunters, but I could really use some help.

Last year, I was successful in my attempts to get my brother-in-law into hunting. It was an effort to show him what it's like to be a man (since he doesn't have many in his life that are worth much), and an effort to help redirect his focus from some things he'd probably regret one day.

Even though he didn't get a buck last year, he's still ready to get back in the woods with me this year, so I'm proud enough for that, alone, but this year, because of his college classes and work schedule, he's really only going to be able to hunt a few days with me. The only place that makes sense for us--because it's a decent mid-way point--is Laurel Hill.

It took us a while to come up with that spot and coordinate schedule for their special hunts, so I'm really not looking for alternate sites.

Anything y'all feel comfortable letting me know, even if it's in a PM, would be welcomed. Places to start looking, places to avoid, tactics you prefer there, anything would be greatly appreciated. I really want this kid to take home a buck this year. I really think it would mean a whole lot more than just meat and a rack for him.

Thanks, y'all!

Headhunter

We hunted it last year. The hunt I was on was terrible, in October. I believe there are deer there but I did not talk to anyone who saw a deer and I have a couple of nice places that it is a long walk to get in to and never saw a deer, 4 day hunt if I remember right. And if I remember right, only 2 or 3 total deer killed on that hunt and there were plenty of hunters. Hopefully better this year, I did not put in for Laurel Hill.

Headhunter

saw plenty of sign, the deer for sure were not moving the weekend we were there though. I did not hear one shot in 3-1/2 days of hunting, (I am not sure but I remember it being a 4 day hunt, thursday to sunday) and I did not hunt sunday afternoon. The campground was over full when we got there and almost by saturday afternoon.

Rockhound

I seen 12 bucks at laurel hill last year and several does, 4 legal bucks, one I killed with a rifle, one I missed with a bow, one I couldn't get a shot at (I think is the one I killed) and one I simply passed.

LH is tough to figure out but once you do it will be good to you, there are some dandys roaming that place and your subject to see a hoss anywhere you consistently see deer. Its not a place you will just walk out and see deer, you have to do the legwork for the most part.

Headhunter

We were there on the muzzleloader, October 18-21, 500 hunter quota. Rockhound, I know, I have walked many, many miles there and the places I hunt I have never seen another hunter, ever. Plenty of sign, but I would have challenged anyone to see just a deer, much less a buck the weekend we were there. Look it up if you can, I called after I got home, 4 day hunt and if I remember correctly, there were 3 or 4 bucks killed. I did not hear ONE shot in 3-1/2 days of hunting. It was a tough weeekend. I can tell you that I have never had a bad run in with a TWRA officer, but I talked to one in the store at the lake at lunch and he was horrible. Don't remember his name, but one of the most rude individuals I have ever met. I got the impression he is against hunting.

Latest posts