Later dove seasons

Travis G.

What's the point? Does anyone actually do any good on some of the later seasons. For me anyways after a week or to it seems like all the doves are gone. Any tricks to the later seasons?

Trapper John

Yep. October has been my best time in the past. More comfortable temperatures and doves still hitting the field IF it was not overhunted the first time.

rukiddin

We have always had some really, really good hunts around thanksgiving and Christmas. Some of the best shoots I've ever been on we're around Christmas. When I go back home to NC for the holidays, we always try have a couple of hunts. Most of friends I grew up with are farmers so we keep an eye on the fields in the winter. Last year we hunted a harvested sunflower field the day after Christmas and shot several limits. To this day, probably the most memorable dove hunt I've ever been on was a Christmas Eve morning hunt. There was 20 shooters and we were all limited out in 2 hrs.
The biggest difference in late season birds is that fronts and temp changes can really affect your bird numbers. If you have birds when it's cold, then they should hang around, but if you have a lot of birds and its 55 degrees,the next cold front will push them south

Travis G.

well good to know. I would assume hunting is much better on private land where you can control if a field is over hunted. Maybe Ill just keep my eye out on some of the WMA's and see if there are any birds later in the year

John3

Best dove hunt I've ever seen was in Haywood county in December one year. Really dry year and we were having a slow duck season. Went out for doves and they were hitting the field in groups of 10-20. A lot of fun

EKARD

I will have a good couple of opening season shoots but my best shoots ever have always come late December early January usually over cut corn fields or rice. It has to be a good field to make me leave the duck blind. The mojo doves seem to work better then also. I believe the late season doves are more migrators and the early is more resident doves.

Latest posts