Late freeze impact on trees

TNlandowner

Anyone observed the effects of a late freeze or early spring freeze on Dunstan Chestnut trees? We have a lot of trees that lost their leaves due to 27 degree temperature last week. The trees were putting on a lot of new growth very quickly before the freeze.

We hope they don't die.

As a side note, our popular, persimmon, pawpaw, fig, grape, muscadine lost their leaves as well. Our apple, pear, blueberry, and oak trees survived the short freeze with no visible effects on their leaves.

TNlandowner

For future references: The Chestnut Hills Nursery folks provided this information:

"Dunstan Chestnuts seedlings have excellent survival, growth, and nut production in a variety of climates, from Zones 5-9.

If you experienced an unusually warm spring which caused the trees to come out of dormancy then you experienced a late spring freeze that can harm the newly leafed out leaves. Depending on how many hours and the depth of the freeze.

Leave the freeze burnt leaves on the trees. Let them drop off on their own."

tellico4x4

Ours in Wayne similar to Andy's pic. Seemed like cold air settled down into hollows for longer period, sure some acorns got whacked. Ridges fared better.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

TNlandowner

I noticed new growth on my established trees yesterday as well. I think the DCs will survive, but not likely produce nuts this year. I had direct planted a few nuts with tree tubes as an experiment. These trees were 10 - 14" tall when the April 15th freeze hit. Looks like they are all turning brown and will not survive. Fortunately, I have a tray of trees left in rootmaker pots inside.

Grnwing

I have noticed that most of my persimmons are fruitless, had a bad freeze in late April that looks to have killed all the blossoms.

PickettSFHunter

My DC's and sawtooths were set back but have recovered. I have not seen a bloom yet on chestnuts though.

I've got loads of apples and pears on the higher elevation orchards I have. 1000 ft lower though....nothing. Assuming the even colder air settled to the low hollers in the early AM.

Latest posts