Last minute muzzleloader question??

Droopy

I just ordered a 209 conversion for my Remington 700ML SS from Cabelas. It is supposed to get here on Friday. I doubt I will get to shoot any friday, due to work. Will the conversion (nipple and firing pin only, not breech plug) alter my point of impact? I'am thinking it shouldn't but would like some info if anyone has any. I'am dialed in @ 100 yards with 100gr. pyro pellets and a Hornady 240gr. saboted bullet.

Also, will i need a capper for the rem? I cant find a decent 209 capper. I know using the #11 caps are hard to load by hand with this model, due to the short bolt opening.

Wildcat

Yes it will change your point of impaact.
You are CHANGING part of the primer/power/bullet comb. Not different than changing the amount of power. By swiching from a percussion cap to a more powerful 209 primer your set up changes.

jakeway

As usual, Wildcat is right on. I would expect a significant change with a 209 primer, since in smokeless loads even changing from one brand of primer to another can make a slight difference, and you're moving to something with A LOT more heat. You should get higher pressures and velocity with the 209.

Then again, every muzzle-loader is different, and you have to shoot it to be sure. If I was in your situation, I'd hunt the morning with the #11, install the conversion at 10 am, test fire and adjust my sights at 11, and be back in the woods at noon. If I couldn't do all that, I'd wait to install the conversion until I could shoot it.

One time about 20 years ago I borrowed a friend's muzzleloader so my brother could use mine. I didn't have time to fire it, so I trusted that the owner had it sighted in properly. Shortly after daybreak I had a shot at a deer. Drew blood, but even though we had good tracking snow, the blood petered out after a couple hundred yards. I followed those tracks all morning, about two miles, before finally loosing the tracks when he mixed with a bunch of other deer. I vowed right then to never again go hunting with a gun and/or load that I hadn't personally tested.

jameseboy

Lemme know how it works out Nubs..I shoot a 700...never had a misfire with caps but still would like to know what you think of it.

Droopy

jameseboy said:
Lemme know how it works out Nubs..I shoot a 700...never had a misfire with caps but still would like to know what you think of it.
Stay away from the german brand caps. They are junk! I went to shoot last week and forgot my remington caps at home. I dug around my shooting box for caps after I found out i was the only person at the range shooting #11 caps still. I found some german caps i bought way back. Honestly, about 1 outta every 4 caps would fire. The ones that didn't would force gunk into the nipple. I haven't had any probs with rem's caps tho.

square

The 209 primers definitely changed the point of impact on my 700. Interestingly the gun does not shoot as good a group with 209's as it does with # 11 caps.

breezy

The gun will burn the powder alot hotter and faster. You may need to up your load or shoot pellets if thats what your not already shooting. I converted a CVA Mag-Bolt for a friend of mine and his gun shot different with the loose powder and 209. We changed to pellets and the gun started shooting fine again without the worries of a misfire.

Latest posts