Landowner Exemption Clarification Questions

Loukiii

My brother in law and our wives bought property in TN. We all live out of state. So my interpretation is we do not qualify for landowner exemption because we are not yet residents of TN? And we would be required to purchase Non Resident hunting licenses as well?
Also after we do become TN residents and live on the property, which we own as Tenants in Common are we still required to purchase hunting licenses because the of where it says about not being able to be owned as joint tenants or in common, or because our wives are immediate family, being sisters, are we now exempt? (meaning once we are all residents)

Gmed

• Residents born before March 1, 1926 (with proof of age and residency).
  • Military personnel on leave carrying leave papers.
  • Landowners, their spouses, children, and children's spouses who hunt on their own farmland. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee but need not reside on the land. This license exemption does not apply if the farmland is owned jointly or in common by unrelated persons.
  • Resident grandchildren (under the age of 16) and resident great-grandchildren (under the age of 16) who hunt on farmland which is owned by their resident grandparents or great-grandparents. (See below, Farmland Owner License Exemption.)
  • Tenants, their spouses and their dependent children who hunt on farmland which is owned by an individual or a family. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee and must actually reside on the land and have permission of the landowner to hunt. A tenant is a person who, for money, free rent or other consideration, cares for farmland. The tenancy must be agricultural in nature.
  • First cousins who own farmland jointly or in common may fish and hunt small game on the farmland. Their children may fish and hunt small game as well.
Your wives, being sisters would be related persons, and you would be a spouse (Bullet point #3). You would not be a tenant because you own the property, not care for it for another (bullet point #5). I think once you establish residency in TN you would qualify for the exemption, but not until then….

RockMcL

You don't need answer on here but how the land is zoned may matter particularly if a smaller property.

If Agricultural zoned you should be good.
I think greenbelt was 8 acres for farm and 15 acres for forest but been a lot of years since I worked that. If less than those numbers it might be best to contact your local region rep.

Sadly, if it is a grey area fines maybe much worse than license fees (which I feel are ridiculous)

Good luck

Latest posts