Ladder stands

boweye91

I killed a deer out of one with a bow last year. They seem to be most effective when on field edges. I do not like them when they are in hardwoods. I prefer to have hang-on stands in the "better" spots.

warrior

I find they work well if you can find a good, well used route from bedding to feeding areas that are in the hardwoods. Once I find those areas I would put up a ladder stand in some thicker stuff that I can shoot down out of. I try to make only one entry way and I usually use those stands for all day hunt because of their location to mast, and browse. Most deer and especially good bucks seem to not move much and being somewhat closer to their bedding area where they browse and play during the day usually accounts for my seeing alot of action during daylight hours.

LA man

under the right conditions u can kill deer from a ladder stand. i prefer to be higher than most ladder stands. i have several of them and use them often.i like using them in early season to pinpoint where the deer are traveling and then set up a lock on stand or climber

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Killed SEVERAL deer out of ladder stands.
Placement on well worn trails well before the season is critical.
That coupled with a trophy rock is the ticket. :D

jakeway

I've killed deer from treestands as low as a home-made one with 8 ft 2X4s. I've got a 12 ft stand on a hillside that I've killed one or two deer from it each of the past three years.

If the stand is in the right location, and you have the proper cover at the height of the stand, it doesn't matter if it's a climber, strap-on, or ladder. (Assuming it has no loose parts to squeek.)

The older I get, the more I hunt from ladders. I now have 4 ladder stands, 5 strap-ons, a two Summit climbers. They all get used, but the ladders are the most comfortable to climb into. The Summit Climbers are the most comfortable to actually hunt from, though in early season heat I'd MUCH rather not have to carry one up the hill!

Boone 58

Hmmm? dont think i have ever shot a deer out of a ladder stand with a bow????
Never thought of that before but i have over 50 kills with a bow but i cant remember a ladder stand shot?

John Harris

I have used several and my preference has been an Ol Man ladder stand with the removable shooting rail. I think the platform is 16 feet up. I tend to use it more for rifle on the edges of fields (very handy) or in areas where the trees are not good climbers.

Theft is a problem but what's new about that. Even putting a cable on it does not seem to stop the thieves these days.

Latest posts