Ladder stand help

Big Tasty

Guys- any ideas for getting comfortable sitting in a ladder stand? The seat on the Ameristep Grizzley's I have seem to be no wider than about 10 inches w/ a thin pad. If feels like I'm sitting in a window ledge. In hindsight, I should have stepped it up to a nicer stand with more comfortable seats, but that's not an option for this season.

Thanks!

Urban_Hunter

I know it doesn't help now, but I have found that the ladder stands that have the "sling" style seats vs the expanded metal seats are MUCH more comfortable. No matter how disciplined, I can't make myself sit on something flat for more than 3 hours at a time even with a pad. The seats made out of webbing are just as comfortable as my summitt climber when I use a pad to sit on the webbing.

Even though its not recommended, me and my cousin put a couple boards in between the tree and the stand on your style stand. It spaces it 3 inches from the base which gives you more "Window Ledge" to sit on because its not wasted against between you and the tree.

BSK

We hunt almost exclusively from ladder stand--some 1-person and some 2-person. We all carry a nice pad strapped to our packs for sitting on. Sitting on any type of hard surface for more than a couple hours gets uncomfortable. We made our cushions by cutting sections from the thick foam in old couch cushions, and then covered them in water-proof camo material.

Crosshairy

Don't forget to get in the habit of taking your wallet out of your back pocket. That makes a huge difference, in my opinion.

I have a foldable cushion with a carry strap that weighs about half a pound that I carry into the woods on lots of ground blind hunts. It works fairly well for sitting on top of other crappy hard surface seats on ladder stands.

Methane

A good pad on the seat is something I need. I've gotten some good thick foam seat pads at Academy Sports for under ten bucks. They're camo, about 14" x 14" and are easily cut to size if needed and have a velcro strap included that can be attached to the stand to keep it in place. They work great on those aluminum bleachers at ball fields, too!

When it gets really cold, I take an extra one for the foot rest on my ladder stand. Keeps my feet warmer.

gatodoc

I cut a piece of plywood the size of my bench, mounted a boat seat swivel and a plastic molded boat seat to it with a padded cushion in the bottom...strapped the plywood to the metal bench with a ratchet strap on each side....easy to install, secure as heck, and much more comfortable than the thin pad on metal bench...plus I like the good back support..

HrnHntr9

A folding bleacher seat with a frame from Wal-Mart works great in the basic ladder stand that have and most of them are padded with arm rests

Latest posts