Lack of sportsmanship

geezer

Im a little limited on info on this but to kinda sum it up, A fella I know whos 10-12 year old son wanted to get into duck hunting. with that being said they went to Paris in August for the blind drawing, drew a blind (not sure which one but dont think it was a "hot" one) they have done some work on it the last couple weekends, probably some good father son time almost like building a clubhouse. As yall know early teal/wooduck opened this weekend. They get to there blind only to find that some jerk or most likely several jerks had set it on fire and pretty much burnt it to the ground!! I used to duck hunt alot and know this stuff happens every year but knowing it happened to a great guy who was trying to give his son the opprotunity to shoot a duck or two just chaps my @$$! Anyway, I just wanted to vent and share my disappointment with how some people that consider themselves big almighty outdoorsman are really just scum of the earth. As for all you good fellas reading this, thanks for doing right and if any Paris locals might have any insight on this fill me in or if someones got an empty spot for a youngster this year let me know as well. I sure hope that karma gets those losers and thanks for reading.

Waterfowler22

geezer i got a blind in gin creek this year, and I'm always up for takin kids huntin for there the first time. I would be happy to take a kid one or two weekends, even the juvi hunt at the end of the year.

tn_duckman

That makes me madder then anything. Alot of people are poor sports when they dont get drawn.

We were teal hunting yesterday and had 4 mallards land across the lake from us and 2 guys tried shooting them but didnt kill any.

Its things like this that make wonder about some people who call themselves sportsmen.

If i was in west tn i would take the boy hunting with us.

Grizzly Johnson

Spoiled, over-grown, chest pounding SOB's are part of the reason I stopped going to the Big Sandy draw.... people being immature and burning blinds, slashing tires at the boat ramp/parking areas, sky-busting, stealing decoys.... I have no use for those kind of "hunters"....

I hate it happened for that guy and his son.... probably just some jealous POS that wanted to get even.... maybe even someone who wanted to buy it and father wasn't willing to sell.... who knows. Those kinds of "hunters" are ruining the sport for others. Hope the guilty party gets theirs at some point. :mad:

Pic IN the Casa

One thing I've noticed going on my 6th year of duck hunting... there is a much higher percentage of A-holes that shoot ducks than any other hunting group.

About the blind, they should make sure it wasn't burned by authorities first????

rem270

I duck hunt very little but i got several friends that live and breathe it. Theyve been lucky to draw a blind at Reelfoot for about 10yrs running. I think it was 06 or 07 they put out at walnut log and a dude was a little mouthy when they were going in. One of my buddies had a few words with him and they went on there ways. When they came out to leave they met again and some more words were exchanged but no fist fly yet.
They leave the ramp and drive on up to the gas station to get gas and here comes ol buddy run around the gas station and the fist start flying. My buddy was in between putting the gas pump up at the time and somehow it hit the ground and gas started pumping as they were fighting. I wasnt there but they say my buddy got the best of him and i believe it because i know both of them. The mouthy one who started it could have took any of the others but picks the meanest toughest one out :D
He ended up pumping about 60 bucks of gas onto the ground while all this was happening

It was last day of season and from what i hear its nothing but a drunk fest on that lake the last day. The boy my buddy got in a fight with is a guide there who thinks hes 10ft tall and bulletproof.

I just dont care to be around nothing like that.

WingNut

I read a quote on another forum that sums it up
" There is nothing a duck hunter hates more then another duck hunter. "

It's pretty bad that it comes down to crap like that. I've hunted west TN and Arkansas for the past 10 years. I've had a few run ins with some a holes and met some real cool people along the way. Public land is rough sometimes. I just go into it knowing that it could be feathers flying or fist flying that morning.

Pic IN the Casa

Waterfowler22 said:
authorities arent going to burn a blind this late in the year. When they burn them, its a few weeks before the draw

I was told by a WMA guy that anything illegal (i.e., baiting, etc...)CAN result in your blind being destroyed.

Orion6

I helped a buddy with a blind this year, and somebody stole the aluminum floor out of it over the course of a couple days. I don't duck hunt near as much as he does (he lives and breathes it) but I've seen my share of idiots in a few trips with him.

I use to hate the idea of deer leases, but when I weigh paying a higher price for a good lease with good guys vs. public land only with all the riffraff, I'll pay to be on my lease. Looks like duck hunting is full of jerks too.

I will say it's a sport of extremes from what I have seen - great, ethical sportsman on one end and jackasses on the other end of the spectrum.

Latest posts