Ky Elk Tag!!

4onaside

trealtree said:
KDFWR say's if you do some scouting on your own people without guides have a 90+% kill ratio.
You know, that's fine........in theory. However, I am a good example of the value of a good guide. I live 400 miles from the SE Kentucky elk grounds. Logistics prevented me from doing any scouting. What, am I going to drive 800 miles on a weekend, just to locate elk?, .....on public ground? Where do you even start looking. Now you don't even have the option of picking what might be a good area for you personally, with the assignment of specific areas started this year. Having a good guide, IMO, is money well spent. He already knows where the elk are, and has permission to hunt there. Don't get me wrong, I am a big do it yourself'er, when the circumstances warrant it, which with me is almost always. However, I just think that a guide is the way to go for a Kentucky non-resident.

trealtree

I wouldnt spend 2k for a guide in KY. I understand what you are saying though. I would pay the gas to go scout and talk to landowners email game wardens etc..

4onaside

trealtree said:
I wouldnt spend 2k for a guide in KY. I understand what you are saying though. I would pay the gas to go scout and talk to landowners email game wardens etc..
Neither would I. However, I got a "Team Wayland" discount. lol

skynimrod

If they are there you can find them.
No tree stand hunting for elk. You just got to get out there and hike.
I love the smell of musky elk in the morning. :)

Polecat

megalomaniac said:
Some of the worst draw odds on the planet for nonresidents, but for 10 bucks, why not!?!

Exactly, I doubt I ever get drawn but for $10.00. It's like PI. You know you keep applying and eventually your number will come up, hopefully. I apply for that, A Ky Elk, a Maine Moose, and a Georgia Alligator tag every year. This year I got the alligator tag, so maybe eventually I'll get the Moose or the Elk tag. I just keep the Maine Moose lottery odds in mind when applying, it took one non-resident 17 years of trying before he finally drew a tag. All I need to be is a little persistent and have a lot of patience.

4onaside

Polecat, all you need to be is LUCKY. I drew a Kentucky cow tag in 2006. which is the first year that I ever applied. Of course, if you are "patient and persistent" your luck gets better and better.

Latest posts