Ky Elk Tag!!

mike243

well thanks for reminding me,i didnt draw either but what the hey :) nothing ventured nothing gained,mike243

4onaside

megalomaniac said:
Some of the worst draw odds on the planet for nonresidents, but for 10 bucks, why not!?!
Absolutely, "for 10 bucks, why not!?!" My odds statisically are reallllllly high, because I drew the first time that I ever applied(2006). But, I intend to send them my 10 bucks from now on. Besides, even if you don't get drawn, its fun to play the game. Heck, the anticipation is worth $10.

4onaside

Dalton Ballentine said:
how many tags are they drawing for? Do you have to have a ky. liscense to apply?
It was 400 this year(about 10% for non-residents), and no, you don't have to have a license to be in the drawing, only a $10 application fee. The drawing for the 2008 season has already taken place.

megalomaniac

4onaside said:
Dalton Ballentine said:
how many tags are they drawing for? Do you have to have a ky. liscense to apply?
It was 400 this year(about 10% for non-residents), and no, you don't have to have a license to be in the drawing, only a $10 application fee. The drawing for the 2008 season has already taken place.

IIRC, around 5 bull elk tags went to NR's either last year or a couple of years ago. That's out of around 3000 NR applicants. I don't think the draw info is public yet, so I'll be curious to see how many NR bull tags were awarded this year and how many applicants put in for those tags.

KY resident odds aren't too bad, though.

4onaside

megalomaniac said:
4onaside said:
Dalton Ballentine said:

IIRC, around 5 bull elk tags went to NR's either last year or a couple of years ago. That's out of around 3000 NR applicants. I don't think the draw info is public yet, so I'll be curious to see how many NR bull tags were awarded this year and how many applicants put in for those tags.

KY resident odds aren't too bad, though.

4onaside

I'm not sure that the draw info will ever be public. When I was lucky year before last the first indication that anyone was drawn was a complete list published on the KDG&F website listing your name, state, or county for residents, whether at large or specific area and sex of animal. This year you learned of your success or failure by entering your Social security number. Word has it, that it was a public relations move to cut down on the number of complaints from elk area residents about not enough residents of those counties being drawn. Also, on the resident vs. non-resident odds, I believe that they are very close to same, relative to the number of tags issued, 90% for residents and 10% for non-residents, that is, in the past there have been roughly 9 or 10 times the number of applicants vs. the number of non-residents.

megalomaniac

4onaside,

Do you remember pulling up the list a year or two ago when they listed all those successful in drawing a tag by county and state? For some reason, I recall there being a significantly lower bull tag allotment to nonresidents (and a disproportionate number of cow tags to NR's) compared to residents.

That's my biggest complaint though, not being able to specify bull, cow, or either sex in the draw. For more than $300 for a cow tag... heck, tags are cheaper out west and guaranteed in some states :)

4onaside

I do not remember there being any bull percentage difference between residents and non-residents, although obviously residents got 9 out 10 bull tags, because they got 9 out of 10 of the total tags, so possibly that's what you are thinking about? And, it now cost basically $500 for either cow or bull in Kentucky for non-residents, if you add the mandatory big game license plus the elk tag. However, the past two years, I was hopeing to draw a cow tag(I did in 2006), because the bull season conflicts with my antelope hunts. I lived in fear that I would draw a bull tag, when I had already paid for a tag and a hunt, opening on the same day in Colorado. However, whatever the license cost, IMO killing a cow in Kentucky is as close to a sure thing as you can get, much more than having a cow tag in the units that I have hunted in Colorado, where some seasons I have not even seen a cow. The Kentucky hunt that I experienced was as much fun as any that I have been on. I don't want to give the impression that they are tied to a tree for you, however, because the first morning in Kentucky, I did not see an elk, and only got into them at dark. But, they were still in the same area at first light the next morning, and our hunt lasted 2 minutes into legal shooting time.

skynimrod

Hillbilly Hunter said:
I will never get drawn, but a buddy of mine did. He killed a 7x6 bull. The bad part is, you just about have to hire a guide from what I have been told, and that will run you $2,000 or more.

Please elaborate!

Latest posts