Knox Area

tennesseehunting

Alright so I know and you all know that its rough... but where within an hour or so of Knoxville is worth my time? I've scouted like crazy all over and know some spots but still just don't even know where to start. Any guidance would be really appreciated. Thanks guys in advance

casjoker

Sometimes Watts Bar and Hiawassee can be ok, usually needs to get pretty cold or hit the "dumb" local birds on opening weekend. 99% of my duck hunting occurs 4-6 hours away because of the lack of birds in East TN.

rukiddin

Within an hour of Knoxville?? I'd say go to McGhee Tyson airport and hop on a plane and go somewhere other than the armpit of waterfowling. Thought I could make it work when I first moved here but after 3 years, I gave up. Boat gas for scouting and being around idiots who only shoot at birds 80yds or further, made staying in bed the smartest move I've ever made. It's one thing to compete with idiots in areas with a lot of birds, but idiot takes on a whole new meaning when you have commander wannabes "duck hunting" in a virtual waterfowl wasteland.

Buck_West

This will my 3rd East TN season in the area. I burn alot of fuel scouting and usually bag a duck or two per hunt. If you don't have a boat I would suggest getting one, and not the typical duck boat. I turned my 17 foot tracker into a duck rig and cover lots of miles. I cut my teeth duck hunting in southeastern Kentucky so I am used to the lack of birds but I believe there are 50 hunters to 1 in east tn vs east ky. Makes a big difference. I found some birds in early wood duck and arrived late, 45 or an hour before shooting light, to discover around 15 groups of hunters in the general area. I could give you some community holes that are already over crowded but the best advice I can give is drop the boat and cover 20 miles. If you truely love duck hunting there are opprtunities but more than a 1 man limit once a year is pretty much out of the question on public water.

Latest posts