Food Plots Killing Sweet Gums

LanceS4803

Seeing the recent post, I have a questions along the same line.

I was tagging all the mature Sweet Gums today where I could see the gum balls, probably 100 trees.
I originally wanted to do hack & squirt, but unfortunately, I had previously bought a quart of triclopyr 4, which isn't the best for that application method.
The packing info says it is good for control of Sweet Gum, but for basal application it says stems over 6" may resprout.
Up to what diameter with the 4 work on? Some of these guys are 30 inches across.
Or do I need to just go ahead and get the right stuff, triclopyr 3, for hack & squirt?

MickThompson

I use basal bark for stuff under 2" diameter or shrubs that would be difficult to hack as a rule of thumb. It will kill bigger stuff, but it isn't as cost- and time-efficient as hack and squirt on the big stuff. I would get a water-based product that is approved for hack and squirt.

I just across this pdf. Lots of good info for manual herbicide applications.
https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/gtr/gtr_nrs96.pdf

And here is a glyphosate product labeled for treating sweetgum hack and squirt. Not all gly formulations are approved and recommended for hack and squirt. Look for frill and injection methods section in the label.
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld4TL015.pdf

LanceS4803

As soon as I close on the property, it will be spraying time.
I have the correct Garlon to basal bark the smaller diameter, but have a TON of them that are over 12" diameter.

MickThompson

I would talk to a forester. You might be able to sell the sweetgum depending on the local pulp market. The. You could treat the stumps with the basal bark treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LanceS4803

I've got TN Forestry and USDA ready go to when I get the land in my name.
They'll set up a plan for me. That way I don't screw anything up!

Latest posts