Kids hunting

RobbyW

All then successful youth hunting pictures (mine included) have me wondering how many people take their kids all the time. When I got married I had a microwave family. I gained two kids- a son (was 9 at the time) and daughter (was 7). The became mine the minute I said I do. We even celebrate "our anniversary". One of the ways me and my son bonded was hunting. He has gone with me every year and there are very few times he doesn't go with me. If he doesn't its because he has something else like a sleepover, and some mornings he likes to sleep in (13 so that's normal). It makes hunting a lot harder with two people, double movement, smell, noise.... This year was his first bow hunting with his own bow. But before that we even went together to bow hunt, which he only watched. I wish my daughter like to go, but she isn't interested at all.

We still enjoy the youth hunt. Its the first time he can use a rifle and get a shot off at those deer that always seem to be out of bow range. I do wish they moved it back one weekend though. As he gets older and more of a social life the last weekend of Oct is a busy one with Halloween parties, hayrides, etc..

What do most people do with their kids during the rest of the year?

backwoods7

My dad always took me with him from the time i was old enough. When i was really little he would take me with him on evening hunts to observe. Shot my first squirel at 7, shot at my first deer the same year but missed. Finally killed one when i was 10. I enjoyd it and now that ive got kids of my own i cant wait to take them. My oldest is 3, halfway there and i wont do it any diffrently

Diehard Hunter

Mine are welcome to go with me any time I go. My daughter goes a few times a year outside the juvenile weekend, my son has no interest in getting up that early. Since they are both teenagers now, they have other things they are busy with much of the time, but we do get a few hunts in every year.

jb3

Juvenile is not the only weekend my son goes with me. He is welcome anytime that I go. There may be times that I'd like to go by myself, but I do not turn down any opportunity to take him with me. It's a little more work, but I look at it as the more experience he gets at an early age, the less I have to worry about as he gets older. He is 8.

hitek7

The youth hunt was my daughters 4th hunt of the season. She had passed several deer until Saturday when she decided to shoot a 6 pt with her crossbow. She goes with me regularly and sometimes even when I hunt. We are from Alabama and hunt TN, if we lived in TN she would actually hunt with me even more. She is 7.

TnSabre

I have 2 boys (14 yr old, 10 yr old, & 1 on the way) and I have stopped hunting myself. I only take them. I have not taken a deer in several years and to be honest I would much rather watch my boys take one than me. It is way more exciting to watch and see them have success and not to mention a few failures. Watching them grow and learn has put a whole new and better twist on hunting to me. They are also my fishing partners when we fish tournaments! I know they will not be here forever so I am spending every moment I can with them!

Dbllunger

My sons don't bow hunt so that part of the season is for me but once juvy and gun seasons kick in, I rarely go without one of them. It is a lot more fun for me to watch one of them kill a deer than it is for me to kill one.

Winchester

Both my boys hunt with me in every season, Archer, MZ, Gun! Im very blessed to have them with me more times than not for most of the entire season!

BSK

My daughter has gone with me many times on the weekends of MZ and gun. This year was here first year on the Juvi hunt, and her first opportunity to do the shooting (she has seen me shoot deer before).

Bobs8pt

Dbllunger said:
My sons don't bow hunt so that part of the season is for me but once juvy and gun seasons kick in, I rarely go without one of them. It is a lot more fun for me to watch one of them kill a deer than it is for me to kill one.

X2... I love watching my son Hunt. He has been by my side in the woods from the time he started to walk. The Boy can sit for hours on end without making a move. He has yet to shoot a deer but it is getting close. we had doe on the field on Saturday at 180 yards.... A little closer and I would have let him go, but we were just not comfortable at that distance.