Keeping the neighbors dogs out

Planking

Who's the right person to contact when that happens - animal control or the sheriff?
I would ask them ahead of time and then i would ask them if that's a straight answer.

They won't even show up when they are attacking people in the street around here. They sure show up when you fix it yourself though.

Some of these guys that aren't enforcing the law need to be voted out. All it would take is a ticket or two and the owners would fix it instead of putting everyone else in these unpleasant situations.

big buck hunter

That's how 99.9 percent of the ones ive dealt with act. That's why i don't allow dogs on my property perio
Yes I dont either.
I did just get two big rolls of fencing from Tractor Supply to keep them out. I have a bob wire fence there at the front of the property with posts and my gate. I am going to run this fencing from the sides of my gate along the front and part of two sides by wire tying the fencing to the existing poles.
Cost me a few hundred dollars but I am trying to deal with it as best and while being as friendly as I can. If that does not stop them I will go have another talk with the man.

Laserman1

That's the rub. It's not necessarily bad people, and it's not bad dogs. The dogs are only doing what dogs do. The problem is that the owners can't seem to accept or acknowledge that their pets aren't community pets. I built a 6ft privacy fence around my back yard to make sure my pets don't become my neighbors' pets. It would be nice if my neighbors extended the same courtesy. Unfortunately courtesy seems to be a bygone thing.
I am dealing with this now. Neighbor lets his FIVE dogs run loose. Two are huge Great Pyranoses'. Two of the others also big dogs. They actually not only go all over my 210 acres but also into my yard bothering my dog. My wife has to keep ours on a leash as these dogs try to bother her and my dog in our yard and she has to try to run them off.

We cannot let our dog out or the "pack" of them try to attack him in our own yard. And they are aggressive to my wife as well.

The owner came over the other Saturday after hearing her yelling at them and them barking at her. He told us they are harmless.

I decided to speak with him about them.

I informed him I had a number of coyote traps out and would feel bad if his dogs got caught in one .He proceeded to get upset and asked me to show him where they were. I told him that was not happening. He told me if he heard them caught in one he was going to the dog to help it and was mad I had traps out and stormed off pissed off at me. Would not even say another word.

Imagine someone getting pissed because they let 5 big dogs run loose even though they only have a 1/8 acre sized lot. And imagine the mentality of being mad I was trapping Yotes on MY 210 acres and his dogs might actually get caught in one.

Takes a certain type of entitled mentality to think like that. I was both shocked and surprised.

If youre going to have five dogs on 1/8 of an acre in the middle of the country you better have your yard fenced or your dogs chained or there is a very big chance of them getting injured or killed for sure. It is common sense.

The stupid dogs also chase every car on the road and do not get out of the way. We have had to almost go off the road trying to NOT hit one of the stupid things. Some people have no sense of responsibility and should not own dogs IMO.
There you go. And then there was 4

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
I own the property, and someone owns the dogs and it is not me. They have no permission to be on my property. First time I will give them a pass, next time I dont. I have worked like a mule for the last 40 years and I am going to enjoy my properties without intrusion from dogs. If you value Ole' Blue you better keep him off my properties.

I have dogs myself-registered working Border Collies we work cows with. They never set foot on another persons property unless I am with them. Keep em' up if you want to keep em.

gatodoc

Back in 1975 I was a junior in veterinary school at Auburn. My wife and I had a female Scottish Terrier we kept inside our trailer and a female Irish Setter we kept in a pen right out back. The trailer was in a park 150 yards from a busy 4 lane,

The Scottie came in heat and we weren't ready to breed her. A male lab mix started camping out at our trailer. He even got aggressive with my wife a few times when she leash walked the dog.

one night I tan him off and followed him. He went across the 4 lane and down a dirt road about a quarter mile to a small frame (student rental type) house. I knocked on the door and met a couple about my age and explained my problem with their dog and the danger he was in crossing the hwy.

They laughed and said it was no problem because their dog had been vasectomized. I kid you not. They said the local veterinarian they used had never done a canine vasectomy but he did their dog. They were concerned about dog overpopulation but wanted their boy to run free and enjoy life.

I told them he wasn't born free to hang at my place and growl at my wife.

i didn't see studly for awhile after that, then my Irish Setter came in heat. Early one morning I heard my outside dog screaming. It was drizzling as I jumped into some jeans and ran out back shoe and shirtless. My dog was trying to get out of her doghouse and the male was trying to get in and they were stuck.

I jerked him back and threw him against the fence. My dog ran out the gate. I looked back and the lab mix was snarling at me. I grabbed the long handled shovel I used to clean the pen and hit him over the head with a full swing. My wife screamed out the window "you've killed him." I hollered back as I went to catch my dog "I intended to."

As I drug my setter back toward the pen, the male was staggering sidewise toward the road. My wife laid a guilt trip on me so I drove to the dog's house to offer to take him to the vet school for treatment. I couldn't find him or the owners.

At my first break at school I called the dog's vet. He was in surgery but his receptionist told me the dog in question had been brought in with a fractured nose. The owners thought he'd been hit by a car. The owners had requested he be neutered while there. I said "that'd be a good idea"

I thought about offering to pay for treatment, but decided it was an unprovoked attack and I'd acted in self defense. Even those who love animals dearly can be pushed beyond their limits.

backyardtndeer

I've put up nearly 1400ft of 5ft chainlink fence this year. My son calls it "Dads compound". My 6 dogs don't bother people and likewise.
Electric works. We were keeping our male anatolian in with electric 3 strands, problem was the neighbors female mixed breed was coming to visit and was jumping through the fence, between strands. I had to add another run of wire to keep their dog out of my yard. My biggest concern wasn't their dog visiting, but rather our dogs following her out of the fence when she decided to leave. The 4th run of wire did the trick. I witnessed her getting zapped. She yiped as she was running down my driveway and hadn't seen her around again since.

While checking cows and a camera in the bottom the day before yesterday, I had my dog by my side. While walking back the neighbor(closest house on our road is over a quarter mile away) dog was in my pasture, and a new dog I am assuming was a male darted out of a brush pile down in the bottom, where I had heard a young deer blow. My anatolian took off after him. That dog quickly went under my barbed wire pasture fence. My dog likely would have killed that dog if it hadn't left the pasture. Luckily he didn't try to go through the fence after him.

I may have to take my own advice and remind my neighbor that I run traps.... I hate for them to keep their dog chained up, but also don't need them around my cows or harassing deer.

Last edited:

rtaylor

I know a guy that wrote out a letter that basically said next time your dog is on my property I'm going to shoot him. He caught the dog and then taped the letter to the collar and turned him loose. The dog never returned to his property and the dog owner was none the wiser as to who wrote the letter.

6.5swede

I have never done this but if you have ever caught a dog in a steel trap they generally run like their tail is on fire when they get turned loose. Make some coyote sets, you'll catch them immediately and they won't like it. They'll probably quit coming back. But you better have a good catch pole.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Several years ago a lady that breeds dogs called the law because of dogs coming on her property. Her purebred dog had given birth to mixed breed pups. She was informed that a fluffy kitten in Heat needs to be confined, Anyone of several dogs could have been the Daddy. Just like Bucks will come from miles around for a hot doe so will dogs. They can do the deed through a fence. I don't have a dog in this.. Some of the males coming around were fenced . She is no longer in the breeding business..

44-8-410. Female dogs; confinement while proud
Every owner of a fluffy kitten is required to confine the same for twenty-four (24) days during the time the fluffy kitten is proud.
1901 Acts, c. 122, § 1.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fluffy kitten+in+heat+cofinement&t=newext&atb=v321-1&ia=web

CritterGitter

Yeah i get pictures of this huge dog all over the place i hunt. A few of him chasing deer , including the only decent buck ive seen . Pretty aggravating
Screenshot_20220117-171042_Gallery.jpg

Snake

Over the last 2 weeks, I'm getting the same two dogs showing up on my cell cams. By the time I get out there, they're gone. Just moved to my property 3 months ago, only know a couple of the neighbors and I know its not their dogs. I'm thinking of driving around to all the neighbors I haven't met to figure out whose they are, and ask them to keep them off my property. I know this is the type of conversation that could go south quickly; any pointers? I'm just planning on being as polite and courteous as possible.
Alot of counties have leash laws even in the county . The advice about coyotes is a great one to start with .

timberjack86

As for the two dogs I'm seeing on camera and last season witnessed them chasing deer...they both have collars and appear to be we'll taken care of....but I have no idea who they belong too or even where to begin? But I do know I spent money and fenced my back yard and my dog doesn't roam free....I'm a dog lover....but a man's patience wears thin over time.

I've considered going door to door with pictures....or mailing a letter with pictures to everyone on the road.....but my fear is someone else will "address" the issue and I'll be the one to blame for shooting some kids pet.... very frustrating.

(Insert S, S, S comments) yeah...I know....it's just not always that easy.
It is that easy if you just be quiet and take care of the problem yourself. No offense but It's foolish these days to believe your neighbors will do the right thing and fence Thier dogs. Not saying they won't but if the dogs are out running around more than likely the owners don't care. Now as soon as fido disappears your top suspect if you have been complaining about their dogs. I'm not advocating getting rid of them the first time you see them but only if they continue to be a problem.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
It is against Tennessee state law to allow one's dogs to go uncontrolled onto others' properties without permission. There are a few exceptions such as herding and on the chase while hunting.

Can't seem to find a direct link but it is Tennessee Code 44-8-408.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
It is against Tennessee state law to allow one's dogs to go uncontrolled onto others' properties without permission. There are a few exceptions such as herding and on the chase while hunting.

Can't seem to find a direct link but it is Tennessee Code 44-8-408.
Yes, but it's not enforced around here unless a human is bitten or attacked. There used to be a neighbors dog that ran loose. Can out into the street and attacked my dog on a leash. Animal services would not do anything about it running loose all the time. The next time he came at us in the street he got me with a hickory hoe handle that he was not expecting. Anytime after that he would start toward us I would bang that hoe handle on the road and he would think better of it.

Latest posts