Keep voting Democratic!!!

mike243

So wonder what kind of fines folks are going to be looking at? reckon they hit a certain number they will put out notice that season is closed on that type of fish? 1 day it maybe that way everywhere, I will be long gone I hope, hate to see it there now.

nso123

Alabama has a couple of species you have to report too. NC has some of the best trophy redfishing in the country, so my guess is that they are doing this as part of a management plan.

Buzzard Breath

It was passed by a republican controlled legislature. What do democrats or liberals have to do with it? Is it enforceable?
You're right. The House and Senate are both controlled by Republicans.

Yes, it's enforceable.

Screenshot_20240526_102347_Chrome.jpg

megalomaniac

So commercial fishers didn't have to report their catch there??? How did the state track when the quota was reached????

I'm ALL in favor of those fishing under a commercial license report every fish they catch to keep, as well as any bycatch they kill and discard.

As recreational fisherman in MS, we only have to file, record, and report red snapper (again, to keep up with the quota and season closing time based on reaching the statewide quota allocated to us).

I guess it's because I release most of the fish I catch, that it really wouldn't bother me to log/ report those I do take home for the state to make more informed decisions regarding creel limits and slot limits. There is a LOT of damage done to various fisheries by fishermen (mostly commercial, but also recreational)

MidTennFisher

So I'm just gonna play devil's advocate for a second. Sure it's a pain to report every fish you kill. But is this any different than reporting deer and turkeys to TWRA? It's a great way to track total kill so that the state can manage the species properly... or at least that's what they're supposed to do with that data.

We (should) know good and dang well that hunter numbers are not decreasing, despite what we are often told. Nor are numbers of people fishing. And we know our methods for killing game and fish are improving, making us much more efficient at these things. In the fishing world the sonar technology is unbelievable and it is a huge advantage for finding fish. So if records show a steadily decreasing harvest of fish year after year, that would indicate an issue.

I'm of the same opinion as most of us about government staying the heck out of our business, but we do pay them to manage species. That goes for game and fish species. So I personally don't have much of an issue reporting deer and turkeys. And my first thought is that I wouldn't have much issue reporting the above mentioned fish species, either. All those species have grown in popularity and certainly had a significant increase in fishing pressure.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm open to someone changing my mind.

CATCHDAWG

So I'm just gonna play devil's advocate for a second. Sure it's a pain to report every fish you kill. But is this any different than reporting deer and turkeys to TWRA? It's a great way to track total kill so that the state can manage the species properly... or at least that's what they're supposed to do with that data.

We (should) know good and dang well that hunter numbers are not decreasing, despite what we are often told. Nor are numbers of people fishing. And we know our methods for killing game and fish are improving, making us much more efficient at these things. In the fishing world the sonar technology is unbelievable and it is a huge advantage for finding fish. So if records show a steadily decreasing harvest of fish year after year, that would indicate an issue.

I'm of the same opinion as most of us about government staying the heck out of our business, but we do pay them to manage species. That goes for game and fish species. So I personally don't have much of an issue reporting deer and turkeys. And my first thought is that I wouldn't have much issue reporting the above mentioned fish species, either. All those species have grown in popularity and certainly had a significant increase in fishing pressure.

I pretty much agree with everything you said.

Bad habit

The way I look at it is today the state is micromanaging 5 fish species for revenue. Next year it may be 10. The year after it may extend to freshwater. I view EVERY gun'ment rule as a revenue generating process. Have you ever seen rules like this stay static???

BigCityBubba

The way I look at it is today the state is micromanaging 5 fish species for revenue. Next year it may be 10. The year after it may extend to freshwater. I view EVERY gun'ment rule as a revenue generating process. Have you ever seen rules like this stay static???
I guess you are not that familiar with the term conservation

BigCityBubba

Those fish species like the deer and turkey in Tennessee have also grown in numbers because of conservation efforts

Latest posts