Keeping short fish, temporarily

Headhunter

I am a firm believer that if you are on a school of bass and "catching" them, they will quit hitting quicker when you release them as you catch them.

As far as searching livewells, game wardens have told me that for the time being, they have to have a search warrant to legally check your livewell unless you give them permission. Said it is the same for a 5 gallon bucket or a cooler.

WTM

fish, especially bass, can smell better than a bloodhound. they can even pick out individual fish in a school by the way they smell. when you hook one, they release pheromones, kind of like injured baitfish would. their buddies in the school can pick up on it and shut down or even scatter.

id say in a couple of more years of fish getting pinged to death with high gain livescope and we will be having to cast to them 80 feet instead of 25-30 feet like we do now. in some high pressured lakes i can even see larger lmb and smb being almost impossible to catch, seeing as how they have a 6 month memory window.

Pilchard

fish, especially bass, can smell better than a bloodhound. they can even pick out individual fish in a school by the way they smell. when you hook one, they release pheromones, kind of like injured baitfish would. their buddies in the school can pick up on it and shut down or even scatter.

id say in a couple of more years of fish getting pinged to death with high gain livescope and we will be having to cast to them 80 feet instead of 25-30 feet like we do now. in some high pressured lakes i can even see larger lmb and smb being almost impossible to catch, seeing as how they have a 6 month memory window.
I've watched tuna react negatively when the gain was turned up on my sonar.

WTM

I've watched tuna react negatively when the gain was turned up on my sonar.
yeah black crappie are particularly spooky.

i dont know how spooky rainbow trout are but some of these fish are getting spooked at 40-60 feet. a trout or salmon can feel up to 1000khz which is the frequency range of that ps30 and lvs32.

BuckWild

i dont even keep borderline fish. if i have to pinch the tail fins it goes back. my luck it would shrink a half inch when it goes on ice.
My friend was fishing at Sardis Lake with me one time and he was checked on the water and had 4 short fish. He measured every one of them and they were all legal. To quote the game warden: "It doesn't matter how long the fish is when YOU measure, it only matters when I measure it." LoL We made our on fish checkers out of aluminum flat stock and the line on them was 10.25 inches not 10 inches.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
yeah black crappie are particularly spooky.

i dont know how spooky rainbow trout are but some of these fish are getting spooked at 40-60 feet. a trout or salmon can feel up to 1000khz which is the frequency range of that ps30 and lvs32.

Makes me wonder if it is the trolling motor or the livescope that are spooking them @woodyard

woodyard

Makes me wonder if it is the trolling motor or the livescope that are spooking them @woodyard
I am not seeing them bailout at 15 ft when I have been drifting with the wind. Running livescope the whole time. They don't show much reaction till the tm is at about 12-15 ft from them, I believe the schools of bluegill might be more spookier than the crappie. Livescope might affect them. The crappie seem to dive for the bottom and hold there, the bluegill scatter like a flushed covey of quail.

Latest posts