Keeping short fish, temporarily

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so I was talking to a friend, whose son is a TWRA officer.
I was talking about watching the "Old Fisherman" on youtube and he doesn't throw fish back while he is fishing a particular spot.
He fishes in South Carolina.
He feels that once you throw a couple back it shuts the bite down.

I commented that it is probably different there but I would hate to have a livewell full of short crappie, or bass for that matter, and a game warden roll up on you in TN.
He said he talked to his son and he said, "Until you leave the water they can't ticket you for short fish."
So I could have 50 short crappie in my livewell and he ain't gonna give me a ticket?
Nope. Not till you pull the boat out of the water.

I call BS on that one.
Wonder who is right?

@scn what say ye?

Pilchard

It was common for me to fill my livewell with short or out-of-season fish in FL. Never got a ticket and was often thanked by the wildlife officers for doing so but it was because we were fishing around dolphins. They would eat the fish as soon as they were released. So we would keep them in the well and then run over to an area without flipper and let them all go.

It probably helped that I was friends with all of the local officers as I was certainly breaking the law. But I wasn't about to feed 50 gamefish to a dolphin.

I suppose I could have fished somewhere else if the officers weren't comfortable with what I was doing....

TRHC

If that's the case, seems like a creel limit wouldn't apply "until you left the water" too. Hmmmmmmm.

woodsman04

I'm like that too. A crappie has to beat my ruler by about 1/8". What if my ruler is wrong!!

I don't like them borderline fish.

7mm08

Don't y'all know fish talk to one another? Hey Bob watch out for that chartreuse spinner bait!

That old timer must have dementia.

I don't keep anything even remotely short or long ( slot) . No fish is worth it.

Latest posts