Just shot the new Grim Reaper Hybrids

cozy23

I picked up a pack of the new hybrids. I took them out and they are SHARP. I made a broad head target last year out of a double layer of 3" cardboard blocks from work and a piece of thin carpet on each side all stuffed down in a box. So I busted it out in the yard and slung one of the Reapers at it. I was surprised to find out that the 2 mechanical blades did not open. So I shot it again...same thing. I went inside and grabbed one of my Killzones and shot the target and it opened right up. I ended up shooting the Reaper about 5 times and the blades never opened. Anybody ever had any trouble with Grim Reapers opening?

Just wanted to give a quick review on these. It could be my target. I may try pulling the carpet out of the box and tape it to the outside to simulate hide a little better.

UTGrad

cozy23 said:
I picked up a pack of the new hybrids. I took them out and they are SHARP. I made a broad head target last year out of a double layer of 3" cardboard blocks from work and a piece of thin carpet on each side all stuffed down in a box. So I busted it out in the yard and slung one of the Reapers at it. I was surprised to find out that the 2 mechanical blades did not open. So I shot it again...same thing. I went inside and grabbed one of my Killzones and shot the target and it opened right up. I ended up shooting the Reaper about 5 times and the blades never opened. Anybody ever had any trouble with Grim Reapers opening?

Just wanted to give a quick review on these. It could be my target. I may try pulling the carpet out of the box and tape it to the outside to simulate hide a little better.

Grim Reaper expert here so step aside :D

What made you determine the blades didn't open? This is very common complaint amongst new Reaper shooters that is unfounded.

1) The blades almost always snap shut after passing through a target. The inertia of the arrow stopping snaps the blades shut.

2) You can't judge the entrance hole...check the exit hole. Reaper blades are forward deploying and are starting to expand as they enter a target. The entrance hole will be roughly the size of the blades in the closed position. Check the exit hole and you will see they deployed.

Trust me when I say that Grim Reaper broadheads are some of the best ever made.

cozy23

Whoa! You are a Grim Reaper expert. I didn't even look at the exit holes because the blades were shut when I walked up. Looks like every time I shot they opened. I feel a little better now. Here is a pic (the bottom one).

in the dog house

UTGrad said:
cozy23 said:

What made you determine the blades didn't open? This is very common complaint amongst new Reaper shooters that is unfounded.

1) The blades almost always snap shut after passing through a target. The inertia of the arrow stopping snaps the blades shut.

2) You can't judge the entrance hole...check the exit hole. Reaper blades are forward deploying and are starting to expand as they enter a target. The entrance hole will be roughly the size of the blades in the closed position. Check the exit hole and you will see they deployed.

I will stick with the rage. You get a Huge ENTRANCE and EXIT wound and both pour blood like it was coming out of a bucket!

catman529

sounds like the grim reapers are bad to the bone. I won't spend the money on Rage. I don't know how much the Reapers even cost. If I tried an expandable, I'd go with a simple yet deadly Killzone but for now I'm still gonna use fixed blades.

That's interesting how the GR's have a small entry and then close again on exit. Generally the exit hole is what makes the blood trail anyway, since it is lower if you shoot from elevation. So the hybrids look like they actually might have decent penetration like fixed blade, yet still open the deer up comparable to other expandables. I like the sound of it...

cozy23

I shot a Montec, GR Hybrid, and Killzone that day. I should have taken a pic showing how each penetrated. #1 was the Montec buried the fletchings, #2 was the Hybrid, almost buried the fletchings, #3 was the Killzone which didn't come clost to burying the fletchings.

I only shot the Killzone twice and the small nut that holds the blades on sheered off so the head is no good now.

stringtalker

You'all get an exit hole with expandable broadheads, funny, when i tried them i shot 4 deer, i got 1 pass thru, will never shoot them again. 98% of the hunting shows on tv dont get pass thru's either. All i can say is MUZZY MUZZY MUZZY, HAVE NEVER FAILED ME AND ALWAYS A PASS THRU, Good huntn guys

in the dog house

stringtalker said:
You'all get an exit hole with expandable broadheads, funny, when i tried them i shot 4 deer, i got 1 pass thru, will never shoot them again. 98% of the hunting shows on tv dont get pass thru's either. All i can say is MUZZY MUZZY MUZZY, HAVE NEVER FAILED ME AND ALWAYS A PASS THRU, Good huntn guys

If you aren't getting pass thru then shot placement is off imo

bowtechgump

UTGrad said:
cozy23 said:

He is 100% correct....I walked up and grabbed my arrow last year and my heart sank when I saw the blades closed. I was scared to death that it didn't open and even with great placement may have trouble finding blood at all let alone trailing a deer that isn't cut well. I walked 20 yards in the direction I knew the deer had headed and found him crumpbled up in a pile just 40 yards from where I stuck him. The cape job showed I was wrong thinking the blades never opened......the same was the case a few weeks later when I shot the next deer. It laid 50 yards away and the cape job showed again.....it does make you nervous every time but the Grim Reaper knocks em DEAD!

TN Whitetail Freak

Swackers are where its at rages are over priced pieces of tin points that are 50/50 whether they will kill....ive had deer fall in sight sure but i never lost a bow kill until i went to rage 2 blade and seen 3 lost that season actually one walked back by a week later with 2 holes through it both in the wheel house....rages are a joke.....the reapers idk of

ZachMarkus

TN Whitetail Freak said:
Swackers are where its at rages are over priced pieces of tin points that are 50/50 whether they will kill....ive had deer fall in sight sure but i never lost a bow kill until i went to rage 2 blade and seen 3 lost that season actually one walked back by a week later with 2 holes through it both in the wheel house....rages are a joke.....the reapers idk of

I'll back you up on the swhacker's. I shot a nice 9 point 2 years ago with a rage, hit him perfect and never found him. Every deer I've shot with a swhacker has fell within sight of my tree stand no joke.

barkscaler

Rage are junk in my book.Lost a big ten,a doe,and a coyote with them.All three never opened.Also shot a target once and it didn't open.Thunderheads have yet to let me down.

Latest posts