Just FYI, on KY lake, these are shad

WTM

TheLBLman":pc55y5ix said:
Won't bass eat the young carp?

yeah they did some studies on that and the consensus was that they feed more on big head carp but they cant feed effectively on silver carp.

gar and other types of fish can feed on silvers though.

TheLBLman

Often fish & critters don't adapt as quickly as we like, but most are adaptive.
If the numbers of bluegill and other baitfish decreases,
I'd expect bass to then feed more on whatever is more available, including carp?

But sounds like there's enough shad that little else may matter to the bass.

Hearing about so many young shad,
maybe the spawning shad have recently better adapted to the carp invasion?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
TRIGGER":18f0rjx5 said:
Where can I find this information? I have people asking about it but I don't think telling them WTM said so will work lol. I believe you but can't find anything on it.

:rotf: :rotf:

WTM

TRIGGER":2oquhoiv said:
Where can I find this information? I have people asking about it but I don't think telling them WTM said so will work lol. I believe you but can't find anything on it.

which study, we have talked about a few things pertaining to carp?

bluball

WTM":1zvzmtmt said:
bluball":1zvzmtmt said:
Headhunter":1zvzmtmt said:
I personally have not been on KY lake in a few years and don't have any plans to. That is because every single friend I have that fishes there, and many of them are good fishermen, not all bass fishermen, some are shellcracker and bluegill, they all tell me how bad it is and it is just not enjoyable at all to go there. I have spent many, many hours on Kentucky Lake, it was my favorite for a long time. I hope the asian carp problem is resolved, but until it is I don't plan on going.
Kylake isnt as bad as everyone is saying yet.Still alot of great fishing left in my opinion.The patterns have changed because of the carp though.I mainly crappie fish but have been catching alot of good bluegill and bass here lately,usually in deep water

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

yeah, you can still catch fish but i dont see how bass and bluegill could have spawned with the numbers of carp in the pocket water the first two weeks of may. every bed i scanned from jville to danville was pretty much empty. there was no bluegill bedding activity a week ago either, the traditional second bluegill spawn, even though the carp seemed to have moved out into deeper water.
Will bass spawn deep,i know crappie will.Twra says that we had an above average crappie spawn last year.I was catching plenty of bluegill on minnows in crappie beds last sat,looks like there are plenty from what i have caught this year.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

TRIGGER

WTM":m2ybgnj3 said:
TRIGGER":m2ybgnj3 said:

which study, we have talked about a few things pertaining to carp?

Where they say what we are seeing are all shad and not carp.

WTM

oh, that wasn't from a study, i got creel checked and the officer told me they had looked at them and said they were a mix of gizzard shad and minnows. some FAAC members sent some pics to the TWRA and to KDFWR and were told the same.

here is a statement from Adam Martin before i posted this thread:

Attachments

• FCDEB541-FEAF-47DF-B465-7E1509E48F1C.jpeg
    FCDEB541-FEAF-47DF-B465-7E1509E48F1C.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 946