It’s on like donkey Kong!

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
56DD181D-D12B-4395-A33B-BFBBCA918235.png

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Cooked one the other day at 225 over Tennessee hickory, took about 13.5 hours to get it to 203. Made tater salad to go with it. Still eating leftovers, about to go pile some on a plate now,😉
Just wrapped mine up and put it back in the smoker. Cut off three samples for wife, me and the beagle . Wife made a vinegar based barbecue sauce… SPICY!

Shag

I've got a picnic shoulder and a small Boston butt, dry rubbed and in the fridge right now. Gonna get them on the smoker in the morning. Low and slow on my new off set smoker til 205…no work Monday so I don't care how long it takes. I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I had a brisket in the freezer from the last beef my MIL had done. I told her to tell them specifically, "don't separate it and don't trim even a piece of fat!" It thawed out today….nothing but the flat and not an ounce of fat on it 🤬! So I made up some brine for it. Gonna go with some pastrami next weekend I guess.

Shag

Just remembered…I've got a bear ham in the freezer too! I may thaw that out and smoke it with the pastrami next weekend.

Have any of y'all ever tried smoking bear before? This will be a new one for me. The next big thing…Bear-B-Q 😆

Atchman2

Just remembered…I've got a bear ham in the freezer too! I may thaw that out and smoke it with the pastrami next weekend.

Have any of y'all ever tried smoking bear before? This will be a new one for me. The next big thing…Bear-B-Q 😆
I haven't but if you want to give it away I would sure cook it. :D I wonder if you can brine it and smoke it like "real" ham? If it is lean I don't see why your couldn't! I've made Wild Boar ham, and that was great. I made DEER ham and that was REALLY great (Honestly I was surprised, saw the recipe in Outdoor Life).

If you try to brine it use an injector to push the brine deep into the meat. Otherwise it will look weird when you cook it in the smoker.

Atchman2

Cooked one the other day at 225 over Tennessee hickory, took about 13.5 hours to get it to 203. Made tater salad to go with it. Still eating leftovers, about to go pile some on a plate now,😉
That is a LONG cook! I don't have that much patience. Normally I try and keep it in the smoker to 165 and finish it in the oven, or wrap it and put it back in the smoker. I still shoot for your temperature though and it seems to turn out just fine. My wife made a spin on White Chicken Chili but substituted pulled pork for the chicken. OMG! It was SO good! I think it would have been better with Pork stock instead of chicken stock, but still.

backyardtndeer

That is a LONG cook! I don't have that much patience. Normally I try and keep it in the smoker to 165 and finish it in the oven, or wrap it and put it back in the smoker. I still shoot for your temperature though and it seems to turn out just fine. My wife made a spin on White Chicken Chili but substituted pulled pork for the chicken. OMG! It was SO good! I think it would have been better with Pork stock instead of chicken stock, but still.
Pulled pork chili sounds like it could be pretty good.🤔 I do bump the temp up to 250 for the last couple hours after wrapping. But yeah it takes a little while to get to temp.

My son in law did a pork butt for my granddaughters birthday party last month, and it was terrible. I tried to give him advice, but he insisted it was done at 180. Whined about being up since 3:30.🙄 lol. Google was not his friend, as he found some poor advice.

timberjack86

Yes, make sure you get the temp up to at least 165 to kill trichinosis. Bear BBQ is better than pork in my opinion!

Shag

I haven't but if you want to give it away I would sure cook it. :D I wonder if you can brine it and smoke it like "real" ham? If it is lean I don't see why your couldn't! I've made Wild Boar ham, and that was great. I made DEER ham and that was REALLY great (Honestly I was surprised, saw the recipe in Outdoor Life).

If you try to brine it use an injector to push the brine deep into the meat. Otherwise it will look weird when you cook it in the smoker.
I'll probably just go with a dry rub and smoke it.

Now that I've thought about, I'll probably save it for a more special occasion when I've got people over to help me eat it.

Atchman2

Pulled pork chili sounds like it could be pretty good.🤔 I do bump the temp up to 250 for the last couple hours after wrapping. But yeah it takes a little while to get to temp.

My son in law did a pork butt for my granddaughters birthday party last month, and it was terrible. I tried to give him advice, but he insisted it was done at 180. Whined about being up since 3:30.🙄 lol. Google was not his friend, as he found some poor advice.
At 180 it is awful. I find that sweet sport is exactly where you smoke yours at around 205. Even then I've been using a cleaver and chopping mine rather fine. I love it on a bun with the yellow mustard sauce (well really any sauce). I used to sauce it and wrap it, but my wife likes it plain so that she can add her own flavoring.

My brother Larry was a member of the Dead End Barbecue team and has taught me a lot about it, but there is a difference between competitive bbq and what I personally prefer. The techniques are sound though.