Is there a "Patience for Dummies" book?

Vermin93

After losing 2 toms to a big group of hens early yesterday morning, I relocate to another ridge where I heard a mid-morning gobble. There was no fresh sign on the ridge and it just didn't feel right, but I stood next to a big oak and made a few calls. Got no response. Waited 10 minutes and took 5 steps and there they were coming up the ridge with a big gobbler in tow. They saw me bolted.

Heard a gobbler sounding off and heading in the general direction of a small field about 9am this morning. High tailed it to the field and set up. Made some calls. No response. Waited 15 min this time. Sun wasn't on the field yet and I concluded he must have been heading elsewhere. Stood up, put my gun on my shoulder, took 3 steps and there he was. He went airborne quick and flew off into the woods.

I run down the edge of the field and into the woods to flank him. Go about 50 yds in the woods, sat down and made some calls with a different call this time. Waited another 15 min and figured there was no way he was coming back. Stood up to head out, took 5 steps and there he was coming around the corner. This time he bolted up a big ridge and didn't look back.

If I could exercise some patience this wouldn't be so frustrating. It is highly addicting, though.

catman529

Knowing the birds were coming in silent would make me want to sit a lot longer. But if they were gobbling good and then shut up for a while, I'd get impatient. Ill usually sit at least 30 mins but it really depends on the situation. This past weekend they would gobble fairly often till they came into range, and if they shut up for a while I would move and never got busted. Basically the birds I was on would be gobbling if they were coming in. When they went quiet was usually after I heard hens coming from the same direction.

Maybe if it helps, tell yourself that they have been coming in silent so it's worth waiting longer. Just sit back and enjoy the woods.... And browse Tndeer on the phone, but be careful not to get busted doing so... ;)

CBU93

Dude...if you ain't bumping a few every now and then, you aren't being aggressive enough.

But you need to slow your roll a bit until they are a little more vocal...or there is more green up (not sure where you are hunting). As long as you are enjoying it, keep going for it though!

Viper (tp)

Far as I'm concern, when you develope the patience, all the other seems to follow suit!Them silent rascals will bust your behind time and time again.

My tactic, soft calling and patience, man it works believe me!

Latest posts