Is the majority of the rut still ahead of us?

gil1

JCDEERMAN said:
woodchuckc said:
gil1 said:
Where I hunt in Hickman County, the very best time for deer movement (visible chasing) has been around Thanksgiving. Late November to early December is my best chance. I'll be out there in the next couple of days, too, though, because it's still happening now, just to a lesser extent.

Exactly my observations also, Gil. I think JCDEERMAN and others who hunt SW Hickman will confirm that too. I don't know why, but it seems like our area is always 1-2 weeks later than even just a few miles in any direction.

Right on woodchuckc! Seems we are always about 1-2 weeks later than everyone else :crazy: . The best times I have observed over 10 years through hunter observations and trailcams of bucks cruising or chasing are Nov 18th - Dec 5th

Very interesting, fellas. Folks think I'm crazy, but now I KNOW it's true!

156p&y

Deck78 said:
156p&y said:
Middle Tennessee it has just started. They will be on lock down here in several days. I watched a buck tend a doe today in an open hay field. They had obviously separated themselves from the rest of the deer and were hiding in between the stacked hay rolls. I'll be packing a lunch and hunting in the rain all day tomorrow. I plan on hunting all day every day until Monday when I have to go back to work.

About time you showed your face on here. You hear about the 168 that was checked in at Leipers Market on Sunday?

Yeah sorry Deck I ment to call you back several weeks ago. Work is crazy this year. I've got a guy in from Ohio to cover my business this week so I'm off. I'll be in the woods all day except to sleep until Monday so just text me.

JCDEERMAN

gil1 said:
JCDEERMAN said:
woodchuckc said:
gil1 said:
Where I hunt in Hickman County, the very best time for deer movement (visible chasing) has been around Thanksgiving. Late November to early December is my best chance. I'll be out there in the next couple of days, too, though, because it's still happening now, just to a lesser extent.

Exactly my observations also, Gil. I think JCDEERMAN and others who hunt SW Hickman will confirm that too. I don't know why, but it seems like our area is always 1-2 weeks later than even just a few miles in any direction.

Right on woodchuckc! Seems we are always about 1-2 weeks later than everyone else :crazy: . The best times I have observed over 10 years through hunter observations and trailcams of bucks cruising or chasing are Nov 18th - Dec 5th

Very interesting, fellas. Folks think I'm crazy, but now I KNOW it's true!

Same here gil. Everyone I know took off the the 1st or 2nd week of muzzleloader. They thought I was crazy for taking my days right after them and when no one was going to be at the cabin :)

BSK

I see so much information on the later rut in southern Hickman County versus the northern half, that I can't discount it being a real situation. Now why this difference in breeding dates would naturally develop is beyond me.

gil1

gil1 said:

I might have to take it all back. They're chasing right now on our lease.

baller_9

gil1 said:
gil1 said:

I might have to take it all back. They're chasing right now on our lease.

Have you seen any 3.5 year olds chasing yet? I've been seeing 2.5's chasing but have yet to see a mature buck running a doe.

gil1

I have seen 2.5s, but another lease member said there was a mature 10 chasing a doe like crazy this morning. He was so entranced that my buddy actually had time to reload and shoot again. But he missed both shots!

baller_9

gil1 said:
I have seen 2.5s, but another lease member said there was a mature 10 chasing a doe like crazy this morning. He was so entranced that my buddy actually had time to reload and shoot again. But he missed both shots!

It's amazing what the ladies can do to a males mind! I will be really surprised if things don't blow open Wednesday of this week. The weather we need is on it's way and the timing is right so I think we'll start seeing the 3.5+ bucks this week but only time will tell.

JCDEERMAN

gil1 said:

We killed a 3 1/2 on Saturday morning. The guy watched him for about 30 minutes. A 1 1/2 year old chased 3 does all around him for that whole amount of time. He didnt seem interested in the does whatsoever. Well, when the 1 1/2 ran the does past the 3 1/2, he bolted and got in the way and cut him off. The does arent quite ready at our place. I'd give it another week - 1 1/2 weeks and it should be full throttle for us.

Bucks are everywhere and the sign is everywhere....more than I have ever seen. All the does still have fawns. I feel its fixin to break loose. We just need the cooler temps starting on Thursday and we should be an a great situation :)

Bucks & Beards

P@Y said:
Seems a little early this year. I know there have been some monsters taken but at my place its little bucks galore with no biguns up around me anyways. Anyone saw signs of lockdown or is it still ahead of us?
Ahead in my area of West Tenn

BSK

Full-blown rut at my place right now. Older bucks stopped hitting the scrapes after Nov. 8th and we witnessed several chases involving 3 1/2+ year-old bucks.

Greg M

So, I'm guessing that with all the chasing the last few days in middle TN, that NE is gonna blow up in about a week- week and a half? That would be perfect for my hunting next week. Maybe I'll see more than forks and slickheads this year after all!

Latest posts