Is Lead Sled a bad product?

gil1

I couldn't get a good group at the range with my muzzleloader, so I called the company to see if they could talk me through it. The guy's first question was if I was using a Caldwell Lead Sled to site in my gun. I was, and he said that was probably the problem. He said he wasn't aware of this issue until he started working at the company, but sure enough, he tried it out, and his groups suffered. I wish I could remember why he said it negatively effects groupings, but he said it does for any rifle.
Of course, my poor group could have been caused by a bunch of things, but I'm wondering if you gun gurus had heard or experienced this with the Lead Sled. Thanks in advance.

bloodtrailing

The slower muzzleloader speeds and muzzle jump I have found to be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairchaser

Any rifle should be allowed to recoil. To be essentially locked down is bad for the gun as the energy must go somewhere and if it's not allowed to recoil it affects the guns components. Additionally it does not replicate a natural shot. Certainly the lead sled is designed to hold the gun solidly and would interrupt the barrel harmonics and could affect the groups.

gil1

fairchaser":35ftytx6 said:
Any rifle should be allowed to recoil. To be essentially locked down is bad for the gun as the energy must go somewhere and if it's not allowed to recoil it affects the guns components. Additionally it does not replicate a natural shot. Certainly the lead sled is designed to hold the gun solidly and would interrupt the barrel harmonics and could affect the groups.
Never thought of that. Learning a lot. Thanks.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
fairchaser":38fwd6m1 said:
This^^^^^^

DaveB

Here is a classroom example:

Normal recoil:
Go hit your buddy in the chin. You'll notice his chin took a lot of the impact but your hand definitely is sore.

Lead Sled:
Now, go hit a concrete wall with the same force.

Lesson over.

TNRifleman

EastTNHunter":1m7y8l6l said:
fairchaser":1m7y8l6l said:
This^^^^^^

Exactly. The lead sled is a terrible for this reason as well as the fact that you will not be able to "get on" the gun the same way you will in the field.

Omega

I'm not sure I agree about it being bad. I use lead shot as my weight, and it absorbs most of the shock by dissipating it into the lead. I've sighted in my hunting rifles with 3 rounds from bore sight on the sled and have shot off sandbags and freehand for confirmation with no perceivable difference. Maybe if you use steel plates or other solid weight it may strain the weapon system more, but as I've described I've noticed no issues.

MUP

EastTNHunter":2k9slczv said:
fairchaser":2k9slczv said:
This^^^^^^

gtk

Staff member
I use a lead sled to sight in, then move to bags. can usually get the rifle sighted in in < 5 shots. I do not use any weight on the sled, its used just for stability and fine adjustments

Deer Assassin

fairchaser":2rc5c93w said:

they are junk

Hunter 257W

I've never used one but looking at them I don't see why anybody would want one when simple sand filled leather bags will work so well. They are infinitely adjustable and will deform to fit any stock.

fairchaser

Hunter 257W":ryrflqem said:
I've never used one but looking at them I don't see why anybody would want one when simple sand filled leather bags will work so well. They are infinitely adjustable and will deform to fit any stock.

The best supports are a good solid front rest like a bipod or front sandbag which allows the rifle to slip back on recoil. The rifle should not jump. So the forearm stud should not come in contact with the bag. Nothing should ever touch the barrel as well. It should be free floating. The rear can be supported by a rear bag which can be squeezed to adjust the height. Again, the rifle should be solid but able to recoil naturally. What happens the split second after the trigger is pulled will affect what happens to the bullet down range.

Omega

fairchaser":1xsm59np said:
Hunter 257W":1xsm59np said:

The best supports are a good solid front rest like a bipod or front sandbag which allows the rifle to slip back on recoil. The rifle should not jump. So the forearm stud should not come in contact with the bag. Nothing should ever touch the barrel as well. It should be free floating. The rear can be supported by a rear bag which can be squeezed to adjust the height. Again, the rifle should be solid but able to recoil naturally. What happens the split second after the trigger is pulled will affect what happens to the bullet down range.
That's pretty much what the Caldwell lead sled does. It does not stop natural muzzle rise, just absorbs the rifles recoil, much like your shoulder does. The rifle sits in the cradle and the butt of the rifle is the only thing that is restrained by it when you fire the rifle. I use two Caldwell bags, each have 25lbs of lead shot, which absorbs the recoil instead of my shoulder. It takes the human element out of it, which makes it so you use less rounds to zero a rifle. It lets you shoot your ladders, for load development, with little to no human error throughout your ladder.

$_35.JPG

10-1920814.jpg

tndave59

I have not used one but I have seen a couple of stocks get cracked from being fired in a lead sled. There's several ways to stabilize your rifle that have been mentioned above that are a lot cheaper as well.

Latest posts