Is Canadian geese good?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I soak mine for a few hours to draw out the blood, seasoned liberally then seared like a steak for tacos. Comes out medium to medium-rare and is delicious.

JCDEERMAN

I think you'll get the same answer as you would with different types of ducks. I've only had them one way - cut in cubes and marinate, wrap in bacon with banana peppers/jalepenos under the bacon and grill. Delicious

CATCHDAWG

I think you'll get the same answer as you would with different types of ducks. I've only had them one way - cut in cubes and marinate, wrap in bacon with banana peppers/jalepenos under the bacon and grill. Delicious
I agree with this recipe as long as long as you throw the goose meat away! 😁

JCDEERMAN

I agree with this recipe as long as long as you throw the goose meat away! 😁
HA I'm not sure if I've ever had goose, but everyone always talks about them just like the major duck hunters do on the different species (I've never been able to tell a difference between a mallard or a shoveler, etc….). I think Ive had goose one time and from what I remember, it tasted just like duck. We do a lot of elk, whitetail, mule deer with this method of cooking. Poppers is what we call them.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Here's how the locals in North Dakota told us how to cook them:

Soak the breast in brine water for several hours in the fridge. Take the breast and put it on a pine board and liberally season with salt and pepper. Take some cooking string and wrap around the board/meat and use your favorite cooking oil to soak the string. Bake at low heat for like two hours. When done, take and cut the string and throw that away along with the meat and eat the pine board.

They don't eat waterfowl in North Dakota if they don't HAVE to. At least the ones I've known don't.

J.A.F.O.

Best way I've found to eat goose is to breast it out and do them like pastrami. I believe I have the recipe written down somewhere if you want it. Hardest thing I remember tracking down was the large amount of ground Coriander I had to get. Rural King saved the day. Love that place.

rifle02

Soak the breast in brine water for several hours in the fridge. Take the breast and put it on a pine board and liberally season with salt and pepper. Take some cooking string and wrap around the board/meat and use your favorite cooking oil to soak the string. Bake at low heat for like two hours. When done, take and cut the string and throw that away along with the meat and eat the pine board.

They don't eat waterfowl in North Dakota if they don't HAVE to. At least the ones I've known don't.
I knew eventually someone was going to come up with the board recipe. That's why I decided to read the whole thread before sharing that.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled

My son killed two banded geese one morning.
We breasted them out and I called an old timer buddy of mine and asked him how to cook it.
I wrote down everything he said.
Yeah same recipe. 😂

He got a kick out of that.

I fried it with salt and pepper.
Nasty is all I can say.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I do wonder about the jerky idea for them though. I think that would actually work.
I have used it for jerky and it is as good or better then deer and more tender. I have grilled it along side Mallard and it's not much different. Don't over cook it and its not bad at all.

Smashdn

I cook it like I do duck but I split the breast along the length to make it not as thick. Sear in a cast iron skillet with just a little butter skin side down so it renders its fat. Just a little garlic in the pan. Slice thinly across the grain with a dab of A1 or worchestershire or whatever you like. Needs to be cooked no more than rare.

Or you can treat a breast like a roast and cook it in a crock pot with onions, potatoes, carrots and mushrooms. Put some beef stock in there and let it cook all day. Comes out like a very lean beef roast.

Latest posts