IMR White Hots, a new propellant!

WTM

just reading the 09 hodgdon annual manual, looks like IMR has a new ml propellant. looks like 777 pellets, but they are WHITE in color. they even have the hole in the middle. they are claiming a lot less fouling, as good of ignition as 777, and better yet, better accuracy. with 100g charges their test show a three group average of .775 with hornady 250gr sst's.

the only compounds that they say are in it are potassium nitrate and perchlorate, the rest are trade secrets.

with a lot of development and trial and error they say they have the most consistent powder ever produced. it comes 72 to a package, 6 to a sleeve.

no current plans for a loose powder formulation, but with groups like that and negligible ballistics losses who needs a loose powder. ill give a try, what do you guys think?

check it out: http://www.imrpowder.com/new_prod.html

SAWDUST

read on another forum that it is only triple 777 -painted white- being hodgdon owns imr powder which makes the white hot powder. could be a salesman pitch type powder. dont know
hope it is the real deal

WTM

no paint, supposed to have all white ingredients. supposed to be similar to blackhorn, as far as fouling. but from the article, they wanted a more accurate and consistent propellant, not a more powerful propellant. it may be even a little slower than 777, but according to their tests i only see about 25fps difference. supposedly its not as hydroscopic either. my only question is how much is it going to cost.

paboom

I'm sure I'll try some of it-I've tried every other powder that's available. From what I can tell it's simply 777 before it's been dyed black and the smoke added. I think it's going to be just as corrosive as 777 though and you'll probably still have to swab between shots (not that it bothers me, just stating what I think will be true) My biggest pre-testing complaint is that it comes in pellets. I've never been able to get pellets to shoot as accuratly as loose. Additionally, pellets are always more expensive on a per shot basis.

Should be interesting to try.

paboom

UTGrad said:
Bye Bye Blackhorn 209. If this stuff is non hygroscopic and ignites like regular 777, Blackhorn is finished.

I spoke with a chemist that is also a big hunter today about these. He stated that in a nut shell, it's 777 in different packaging. It still is corrosive and you WILL have to swab between shots. At this point the only benefit that it has above BH is that it ignites easier. Time will tell, but it appears its nothing more than 777 in white clothing.

Nothing has been said about non-corrosive and no need to swab between shots. If I was Hodgen and that was the case, It'd be in bold letters at the top of all the info... but it's not...

Buccaneer

Time will tell on this one, but clearly IMR has had to develop this powder because of the attributes and performance of Blackhorn. Not much real data yet, but a few articles have been released:
http://www.buckmasters.com/bm/Resources ... fault.aspx
http://www.buckmasters.com/bm/Resources ... arges.aspx
Most comprehensive data is here on Shooting Times:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition ... index.html
The fun with blackpowder guns and archery is playing around with new gadgets and discovering real improvements. I say BH209 and White Hots will only result in better and more reliable powders for in-line shooters.

WTM

paboom said:
UTGrad said:
Bye Bye Blackhorn 209. If this stuff is non hygroscopic and ignites like regular 777, Blackhorn is finished.

I spoke with a chemist that is also a big hunter today about these. He stated that in a nut shell, it's 777 in different packaging. It still is corrosive and you WILL have to swab between shots. At this point the only benefit that it has above BH is that it ignites easier. Time will tell, but it appears its nothing more than 777 in white clothing.

Nothing has been said about non-corrosive and no need to swab between shots. If I was Hodgen and that was the case, It'd be in bold letters at the top of all the info... but it's not...

st editor j guthrie also did some test shooting. he said he did not swab between shots but between groups and there was no difference in seating resistance from shot to shot. i guess the only way to find out whats really in it, is to do some chemical tests, cause they aint saying whats in it.

the only corrosive nature that i have found with 777 is that it is hydroscopic after it is burned. i have left one of my t/c's loaded for a month just to see if there would be any effect, and one week of that was in a case outside in my garage. i could not find one bit of corrosion after firing and cleaned. maybe i was lucky, or maybe it was the break free i used on it prior to.

but like you said, time will tell. im going to try some just to see. ive got some patches already died black and dried. if the residue is white then it should show up and how much. ill also use some white patches just in case the residue turns black after firing.

SAWDUST

Seen on another forum that someone found some on the store shelf already. 27.00 plus tax for 72 pellets. looks like about 75 cents a shot for a 100 grain load.
Not bad but not good either.

Latest posts