Impact of the regs changes?

Boll Weevil

I got to thinking about what the real impact of all the changes to turkey regs might (or might not) have. Going from 4 to 3 to 2 birds, the majority of hunters only killed 1 even before all the changes. Per the 2022 report, among successful adult hunters 64% report 1 bird, 24% reported 2, and 13% reported 3 (link to the report is here. 88% reported either 1 or 2 birds.

Any predictions on what the real impacts of the regs changes will be?

knightrider

In 5 yrs you will see a huge increase in your population. Most likely less out of state hunters. This will be the first time in prolly 25yrs+ that I am not buying a TN NR license.
The new regs mean nothing for private lands other than taking away opportunity where it wasn't necessary , public and wma will get less nonresident pressure though

Boll Weevil

I think the pushed back date may have a positive impact on nesting initiation/success. No fanning on WMAs will also likely save a few toms. But wouldn't be surprise based on historical dead turkeys per hunter that the overall harvest doesn't change much.

REN

only real impact to me depends on how early spring green is. I have some spots that are awesome early season but with the season now 2 weeks later and if we have an early green I wont really be able to hunt them. Just gets to thick by that point which kinda stinks.

Overall though no real direct impact to me minus hunting fewer days. I dont really care to hunt longer in May, just way to hunt at that point for me to really be fired up to do it.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Two is a good limit for turkeys. While there are some places with good numbers still, the overall population has been in decline for several years, and not just in Tennessee. I'm not exactly sure why any hunter would oppose the lower limit. As for the two week delay, I'm in favor of it as well, for the turkeys. Those first two weeks of the season are by far the easiest for me to call in and kill turkeys, by far. Some have more success in late April but not myself. It could be that they haven't been hunted that year yet that makes it easy, maybe I'll find out this year.
The worst that can happen is that a few hunters kill a turkey or two less, and more turkeys survive the season, and maybe there will be a higher nesting success. I am more than willing to kill fewer birds later to have more birds.

fairchaser

Mississippi will sell a lot more NR licenses since their season starts a full month before Tennessee. I'll be heading to the middle of the state to hunt since the green up is usually two weeks later than the western part of the state. Basically I see the dedicated turkey hunters dancing around to deal with the later start date.

Remington700

I agree with the stats on killing 1 vs 2 turkeys, every little bit helps though. I personally thought when it went from 4 to 3 it should have been 2. I am glad they are making changes to attempt to help the population. I am not wild about a mid April start, but it is what it is.

Wrangler95

I'm all for the changes made to push season opener back 2 weeks plus the limit lowered to 2 birds!More hens will get bred before the killing begins and more of the dominant gobblers will survive 2 weeks longer to bred the hens!Another thing that will help also is the trapping season being changed to thin out some of the nest raiders,I believe all these changes will sure benefit the turkey population>I just wished it had come sooner!

Buzzard Breath

I'm not sure if the new regs will help to increase the population, or just help some to keep it from continuing to drop at its current rate.

I'm primarily a public land hunter during turkey season. I doubt it will have a significant impact on making the hunting better, but it will make the experience better by reducing the number of non-resident hunters. I'd all but given up turkey hunting the past couple years due to the pressure around here.

Kelljp

Suspect enforcement will be more noticeable this year. Wish they had left the start date alone and went back to hunt ending at noon.

megalomaniac

Kill numbers will be essentially unchanged (somewhere between 27,000 and 32,000 this year, depending on percentage of jakes taken in the harvest). Quality of hunting will be noticeably improved this year, with continued improved quality (number of gobbles heard per hunt) slowly improving over next 5 years.

The greatest potential for change has to do with the change in public perception of turkeys. Before, most (including landowners) viewed them as an unlimited resource with virtually no value... Now more are taking a vested interest in nesting success by improving habitat, altering when changes to habitat are made (avoiding bushhogging during nesting season), and placing a higher value on turkeys. If this change in perception regarding the value of wild turkeys continues to improve, the steady decline in population may actually be halted.

AT Hiker

Perfect time to insert the new social media phrase on this issue "The anti-American, dominant gobbler pushing woke biologist Chamberlain needs to be locked up with Fauci. Turkey populations are not in trouble, look at the harvest stats. Go trap a few coons and everything will be fine".

I have no clue if the new regs will help but I'm pretty confident they will do no harm to the resource.

Buzzard Breath

Ummm, if my season is shortened and my limit is cut in half🤔🤔🤔 does that mean I can expect a reduction in hunting licenses? Just curious
Kind of. The season is the same length, so that doesn't change, but since they lowered the limit by 1, TWRA will refund you 1/3 of the big game license cost if you tag out early and don't hunt anything else the rest of the year. The check will be mailed out of the Memphis post office.

Setterman

I do not see a way it doesn't help. Nest initiation alone should improve with more hens potentially being bred during those two weeks rather than the decoy fanatics removing thousands of dominant birds during the old opening weekend.

A serious reduction in out of state pressure I would think can only help

Dropping the limit to 2, might save some jakes as people don't have a pocket full of tags as before

The late close date is sort of stupid. Around here our woods get damn mean after Mid may. jungle thick and buggy. I personally have no interest hunting later than what used to be normal.

This entire thing is TWRA's fault for the liberal limits and piss poor management they used for a decade or more. Also, everyone who applauded the high limits and said it wouldn't matter. Maybe it's not the entire issue, but it dang sure didn't help the population

knightrider

I do not see a way it doesn't help. Nest initiation alone should improve with more hens potentially being bred during those two weeks rather than the decoy fanatics removing thousands of dominant birds during the old opening weekend.

A serious reduction in out of state pressure I would think can only help

Dropping the limit to 2, might save some jakes as people don't have a pocket full of tags as before

The late close date is sort of stupid. Around here our woods get damn mean after Mid may. jungle thick and buggy. I personally have no interest hunting later than what used to be normal.

This entire thing is TWRA's fault for the liberal limits and piss poor management they used for a decade or more. Also, everyone who applauded the high limits and said it wouldn't matter. Maybe it's not the entire issue, but it dang sure didn't help the population
But the limits didt hurt either, the 10% that killed over two had nothing to do with the demise, its the reapers, baiters, poachers and evrything that moves eating eggs and ifcourse no help from the guys in green

Latest posts