if you keep bees

WTM

the past few weeks has been a good time to check your hives. they should be pretty active with these warmer temps, at least making cleansing flights, and probably some brood production.

here are a few things to check:

overall hive health, a gob of dead bees on the bottom board means your bees have died off. check to see if there is any activity in the hive. possible causes tracheal mites/and or varrora mites. check to see if there is any indication of foul brood disease.

bottom boards, rotten boards should be replaced with new ones.

check for honey stores on overwintered hives, with the warm temps they will be using a lot of it. supplemental feeding with 1:1 sugar water will probably be needed, as well as pollen substitute.

check for brood production, carni's usually start in january maybe a little earlier. euro's will most likely have brood in the frames by now. check for good brood caps, they should be slightly rounded. if you have brood production already started then you should be reversing the brood chambers so that you position the frames with the queen and the eggs/larvae on the bottom and capped brood on top. remember, bees will work toward the top and if they have no where to go, they will prep to swarm and there goes all your honey for the year. reversing should be done every couple of weeks until the main nectar flow(when you see dandelions, the flow is usually on). with it in overdrive around the first of may.

get your honey supers ready. you dont want to wait until the last minute to build frames, supers, repaint, etc. you will miss the nectar flow and your bees will swarm.

if you have never kept bees, you should at least see what its all about. the local clubs have workshops to get most folks started. good luck.

Hogbear

I bought Italian bees 5 years ago and for the first few years they were tame as could be. I could go out there in shorts and T-shirt and pull out frames without ever getting stung. Now they're getting pretty mean. If you go within 6 feet of the hive they'll come after you. I have to wear the hood, gloves and whole kit to open the hive now. Must have interbred with some mean local bees or something.

WTM

Hogbear said:
I bought Italian bees 5 years ago and for the first few years they were tame as could be. I could go out there in shorts and T-shirt and pull out frames without ever getting stung. Now they're getting pretty mean. If you go within 6 feet of the hive they'll come after you. I have to wear the hood, gloves and whole kit to open the hive now. Must have interbred with some mean local bees or something.

requeening with good italian stock every fall will keep them gentle and good producers every year. if not, the hive will requeen the hive themselves usually by swarming. a hive raised queen will be inferior as compared to a commercially raised queen.

catman529

I would love to do it one day and when I have the extra money, I will. Caught a swarm last fall with my bare hands and had it for a few days...only was stung 3 times putting the swarm into a box. the smoke helped lol...it was fun though.

Beekeeper

WTM said:
Hogbear said:

requeening with good italian stock every fall will keep them gentle and good producers every year. if not, the hive will requeen the hive themselves usually by swarming. a hive raised queen will be inferior as compared to a commercially raised queen.
Try this link. These are suppose to be some of the most gentle bees around.

http://www.longcreekapiaries.com/

WTM

Beekeeper said:
WTM said:
Hogbear said:

Try this link. These are suppose to be some of the most gentle bees around.

http://www.longcreekapiaries.com/

carni's are real gentle bees, good honey producers, BUT if you dont manage them correctly they will swarm before you know it.

i liked the italians for building comb.

dont have a whole lot of experience with the russians though.

Latest posts