Food Plots If only one implement

huntingfool

After buying the farm, a new tractor and bush hog, needless to say, IM BROKE. I want to get a food plot going badly but only have enough money to buy one 3pt implement this year. If you could only pick a single implement to help get a food plot started, whick one would you pick?

hitek7

My thought was a disc as well when I purchased mine. Since then, I found out my aunt had an old field cultivator (10 tooth) and we took it up with us to plant the corn and beans a few weeks ago. That was the only implement we used that day (other than the bushhog to cut the grass down lower). Granted we had sprayed round up and a good bit of the grass was dead, it performed better than the disc normally does, especially in the rocky places. It is my new favaorite piece of equipment.

Hunter 257W

Disk here too. You are probably going to be wanting to plant some areas that are covered with very established grass and are going to need something capable of cutting that up. If you don't have the ability to get seed to dirt contact, you are out of luck with growing anything. A disk will do that. You can sow seeds with a $40 hand crank seeder. A hand sprayer can be used to kill weeds in even failry large plots - say up to an acre. Trying to bust up the ground in an acre of established fescue would be trying to say the least. Get a disk!

Latest posts