Ice on creek

catman529

I've had no trouble seeing wood ducks in creeks throughout all of deer season. Now I got the shotgun and the creek is half iced over, and no ducks. Where would they be? Maybe the main river?

bigquacks

They might be on the river, but in this cold they might be a little farther south. Woodies and teal like to leave an area when the real cold sets in. Another place to look would be if you have oaks near the creek or river, look on the bank for them feeding. I have seen this several times. But my guess is they have gone south. Try again this weekend when it warms back up.

catman529

The riffles are too shallow to float. I sneak along the bank and check the pools. Have walked up on many wood ducks while deer and turkey hunting. So I go duck hunting and there is ice everywhere and no ducks, lol. How soon after the weather warms up do they come back? Assuming they went south?

G8rntn

Just depends... They may stay south and then again may get another good push from the birds still north of us. It's all about the cold fronts. I would go the first day of the thaw. They will be looking to get off of the main channel where the majority of hunters are. Beavers ponds and creeks are best for wood ducks. Hope u get some. You need a go pro so u can video the stalk

catman529

G8rntn said:
Just depends... They may stay south and then again may get another good push from the birds still north of us. It's all about the cold fronts. I would go the first day of the thaw. They will be looking to get off of the main channel where the majority of hunters are. Beavers ponds and creeks are best for wood ducks. Hope u get some. You need a go pro so u can video the stalk
I need to find my gun mount for my camera so I can video. I'm not sure where it is