I need some rough shed antlers for dog training

smalljawbasser

I've got a pup that's going to be ready soon, and I need a couple/few shed antlers for training.

Anybody have any to part with? I'll be happy to pay you something for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy S.

Re: I need some rough shed antlers for dog training

I'm on the west side, but if you were closer, I would give you several. Hopefully someone in your neck of the woods will chime in and help you out.

smalljawbasser

TN Whitetail Freak":121rkuhn said:
DogBone sells a rubber dummy antler I'd recommend

I did not even know there was such a thing! I assume they work just as good for training if you get the scent?

Trnr

I've been working with a pup with the DogBone system and it seems to be working well so far. My pup is early in training, but she loves her "shed". The system comes with an antler (not real...its a rubberish type of compound), bone scent, and instructions. If I understand it correctly, you start out by playing fetch with the antler, then add scent while playing catch, then add scent and hide the antler. The antler in the kit is white, but they also make a brown one to force the dog to rely more upon it's nose. Like I said, mines early in training, but is working well so far.

wbpdeer

A puppy's teeth are not ready for hard antlers until they are 6 months old. I have a 4 1/2 month old lab pup I am training. I started out with 2 White rubber antlers from DogBone and this week I added 2 Brown rubber antlers from DogBone. I don't allow my pup to play with any antlers - he would think they are a toy. Also, I don't want him going off chewing on the antlers we find.

I use deer scent on the antlers - right now I am using scent from Tom Dokken - is wax in a tube about the size of chap stick. I will use DogBone antler wax and I will also use BoneClone that is sold out of Ohio. I want diversity on the smell.

How old is your pup? I think I can help you on some training advice - we all learn from one another.

I live in Portland, TN which is between Nashville, TN and Bowling Green, KY.

Glad to hear you are interested in a shed dog.

Wayne

TN Whitetail Freak

smalljawbasser":3j63d6m8 said:
TN Whitetail Freak":3j63d6m8 said:
DogBone sells a rubber dummy antler I'd recommend

I did not even know there was such a thing! I assume they work just as good for training if you get the scent?

Yes get the scent in wax form on a stick of deo type. The liquid form runs out too fast in my opinion, also it prevents your dog from blowing in on a hard tine and poking themselves in the eye making them bone shy

TN Whitetail Freak

Jaxx found his first bone on his own at 6 months only 3 months in to Training with DogBone kit. Only 60 yds from the truck on public land. I had not planned on checking that area until I saw his body language change, nose went to the air and his gate almost changed to a prance. I stepped 10 steps into the tree line and spotted the antler in the area his body language changed. I waited for him to find it and bring it to me with success. It's like watching your baby take his first steps

wbpdeer

Atta boy Jaxx. I bet it is exciting to see. That is what I am working toward myself with my pup. Congrats to dog and handler both!!!

In late April we will be ready for hard antler training. Headed out now to plant 4 rubber antlers with scent on them. Scotty did good his first day with this drill - today is session #2.

Wayne

wbpdeer

I have two white rubber antlers from DogBone that I started the pup on first. This week I purchased two brown rubber antlers from DogBone to add to the training and I am now putting scent on all four antlers.

I trained my pup on sight recognition first with two large silhouettes in the yard. I put the rubber antlers out by them and my Scotty naturally enjoys retrieving.

Look at the photo below to understand how the brown antlers almost disappear at 10 feet in the woods. These antlers are on top of the leaves between the two white antlers on the outside. Just imagine how hard it gets at 15 feet or if they were under some leaves.

Training should be incremental - small steps at a time. Today Scotty found 4 for 4 on these planted antlers in the woods. He is making progress - this was his second session on 4 planted antlers with scent on them.

Attachments

• Four Antlers at 10 Feet In Woods.jpg
    Four Antlers at 10 Feet In Woods.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 730

wbpdeer

TN Whitetail Freak,

I am going to try an E Collar. I think I am going to start out with tone. My pup is doing very well with 3 days on whistle training. He will sit to the whistle now. I only use the three blasts on the whistle in the woods and he is getting the concept on that.

Jaxx is a fine looking dog. I look forward to his antler successes. Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

TN Whitetail Freak

wbpdeer":snghb8a8 said:
TN Whitetail Freak,

I am going to try an E Collar. I think I am going to start out with tone. My pup is doing very well with 3 days on whistle training. He will sit to the whistle now. I only use the three blasts on the whistle in the woods and he is getting the concept on that.

Jaxx is a fine looking dog. I look forward to his antler successes. Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, Jaxx also doubles as a tracking dog, I recently did a half mile double 90* turn track with him last week. If you are on face book it's up on there

wbpdeer

Trnr":1fqw7ac3 said:
I've been working with a pup with the DogBone system and it seems to be working well so far. My pup is early in training, but she loves her "shed". The system comes with an antler (not real...its a rubberish type of compound), bone scent, and instructions. If I understand it correctly, you start out by playing fetch with the antler, then add scent while playing catch, then add scent and hide the antler. The antler in the kit is white, but they also make a brown one to force the dog to rely more upon it's nose. Like I said, mines early in training, but is working well so far.

Trnr,

I sent you a pm about your dog and training.

Wayne