I just cant do it..... Updated

megalomaniac

Finally gobbled... gotta be careful, this may be a jake
Ended up being 2 jakes and a 2yo tom. Took 3.5h, several repositions, lots of patience, bit he gave me 6 gobbles or so over the course of the hunt. Came in fired up and died at 25y. Different bird (much smaller) than the one I wouldn't shoot last eve. Finally found the right spot to get him to commit instead of flanking me again and again just out of range.

2 years in a row I've killed a gobbling bird on the last day of the season without hearing a single gobble the entire month of April both years. Good feeling to end the season on a high note

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220501-081634_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-081634_Gallery.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 76

Levee Jumper

Ended up being 2 jakes and a 2yo tom. Took 3.5h, several repositions, lots of patience, bit he gave me 6 gobbles or so over the course of the hunt. Came in fired up and died at 25y. Different bird (much smaller) than the one I wouldn't shoot last eve. Finally found the right spot to get him to commit instead of flanking me again and again just out of range.

2 years in a row I've killed a gobbling bird on the last day of the season without hearing a single gobble the entire month of April both years. Good feeling to end the season on a high note
Boy you are a different level of mad at them. I would feel sorry for them if I didn't hear or see any more than that for that period of time.

megalomaniac

Boy you are a different level of mad at them. I would feel sorry for them if I didn't hear or see any more than that for that period of time.
Lol, I've shared this before, but my son said 'you must really hate turkeys' after I helped him kill his bird this year.

I kinda think it's my job to send them to Valhalla. Die with honor after a fight fit for a warrior. Way better than them getting killed under a feeder or shot from the window of a truck. And I love the hunts where they beat me as much as the hunts I win. I just LOVE playing the game.

This picture pretty much sums up my month of April in south MS.... hunt a spot, no birds talking, then check it the next day and there are gobbler tracks in my truck tracks from the day before. I'm sure I would have more success actually killing birds sitting for hours in a popup blind on a plot with decoys, but I'm a glutton for punishment if I have a bird I think will eventually play honorably.

Now it's on to planting summer plots and removing predators (legally) to prepare for the next generation of warriors!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220501-194536_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-194536_Gallery.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 58

Latest posts