Hunyers taking unethical shots at turkey

BrokenArrow

Buddy of mine witnessed a couple hunters over the opener here wounding gobblers taking shots farther than normal.
Said they were trying to shoot them like they were trying to kill as many as they could.
He said two of the gobblers obviously had wings broken as they ran across the field unable to take flight.
Anyone noticed any wounded turkey in the field this season?
Wondering if this new TSS fad is giving people a little too much confidence?
I shoot TSS myself but know my range of my gun.

PalsPal

Said they were trying to shoot them like they were trying to kill as many as they could.

What does this mean?

Every "new" turkey load that has come on the scene over the years has been marketed to extend the killing range, so it's not new to TSS.

With that said, how far were they shooting? I know distance is very hard to judge in fields, and people have taken ill-advised shots for decades.

BrokenArrow

Not sure what you are asking?
I wondered if anyone had noticed any wounded birds?
I was stating what someone else had observed. I was not there so I would not know the distance nor would they without a good guess.
Some people will do more than usual when they get over excited.
TSS does increase the range on a lot of shotguns
TSS is" new" to some who have just started Turkey hunting as far as being new goes.

BD2B8473-C09D-42CB-B7D3-D05BB3C3F508.jpeg

Don't leave home without it!!

drake799

I'll never understand how people misjudge range. I shoot just a bead and to me 40-45 looks a long ways off I can't understand how people can look at a gobbler at 70 and think yeah I can kill him there lol. My bead would literally cover the bird at that distance I think. Guess it mainly inexperience,excitement or desperation that makes many shoot those distance. Maybe a combination of all idk.

MickThompson

Buddy of mine witnessed a couple hunters over the opener here wounding gobblers taking shots farther than normal.
He said two of the gobblers obviously had wings broken as they ran across the field unable to take flight.
Anyone noticed any wounded turkey in the field this season?
Wondering if this new TSS fad is giving people a little too much confidence?
I shoot TSS myself but know my range of my gun.
Back in the glory days of the late 90s early 2000s I heard guys brag about flock shooting down as many as they could in a volley

TheLBLman

Not sure what you are asking?
I wondered if anyone had noticed any wounded birds?

I got my first longbeard of the year this past Thursday (mid-morning).
Someone else had shot it, it appeared within the past day, as I believe the pellet in its gut, that alone would have caused it to die within a couple days.

This bird appeared totally normal to me, and was in fact strutting right in front of me. I was totally shocked to see it's fresh wounds, all over it's body. I had made a nice head shot with #9 TSS at @ 30 yds. The bird had been recently peppered with what appeared to be #5 lead pellets.

People have been taking out-of-range, unethical shots since long before TSS.

As far as manufacturing "marketing" goes, the most shameful has come from Winchester regarding its "Longbeard" loads which are lead loads (not TSS, not even HTL!). Those loads alone have probably wounded more turkeys than all brands of TSS, albeit neither should be blamed for any hunter's lack of ethics.

Unlike times past, today we have very small, handy, accurate rangefinders, the better ones even doubling as a substitute for binoculars. So no matter what load one chooses, there is less excuse today than ever before for taking unethical shots.

Remington700

I haven't witnessed it this year. Two years ago I saw 2 people Hail Mary shots on public land. I agree it is the people and the way Tss is marketed. I shoot tss, but not past 40 yards.

Latest posts