Hunting from the ground

VolHunter22

Does anybody hunt from the ground with a crossbow? I just got a crossbow but don't have a tree stand so that's what I'm gonna do. Is it that much harder to hunt with crossbows from the ground? I've hunted from the ground with a gun and had does pass 10 yards in front of me without ever knowing I was there.

Jake47

You might be ok on the ground. A crossbow requires a little less movement than a regular bow. If you do end up sitting on the ground, either set up your ground blinds now and brush them in ASAP. Or just build natural blinds. It will give the deer a good chance to get used to the new surroundings. Just walking out and sitting on a bucket by a tree will make it a little more challenging.

Good luck!

Smokyrider

I've only hunted from the ground with a crossbow and have had deer come with 7 yards of me and not know I was there. I hunt thick spots with only 20-30 yards visibility even during gun so using a crossbow is easy.
Just aim it like a rifle, very little movement since I don't have to draw.

soshock1

In the last two seasons, I have killed 3 with a crossbow from the ground. I don't sit in the open though. I brush in pretty good.

Pic IN the Casa

CAMARO12 said:
A shooting pod like the Primos Trigger Stik sure comes in hand for shots of any distance, especially when hunting from the ground.

Yep.

And dont pull one like me and let your limbs hit the brush when you fire. Make sure you are back enough.

TheLBLman

Over the past few years, I've gone to hunting more from the ground (still hunt more from a tree stand).

What I'm going to tell you will NOT work with a modern bow, but it does work with a firearm or a crossbow ---- get you this:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products

I started using one of these for turkey hunting, and it is unquestionably the most comfortable seat ever. You can sit in it all day, comfortably. And the low profile makes you much less likely to be seen.

Latest posts