Hunting Deer Signs

TN Whitetail Freak

After reading Wildcat's story about a beginning hunters successful deer hunt.....I thought to myself there is no beginners luck....to make a long story short the guy decided to pick up the hunting hobby and found the nearest Deer Crossing sign off the hwy walked in 100 yards and shot a nice 8 pt his dirst ever time hunting.......his logic was that deer were obeying the law and crossing where the government puts the sign.....he wasnt aware that the government put the sign there because it was high deer collisions with cars

Then I thought to myself thats not actually a bad idea and Ive never thought of that. So its not beginners luck its just beginners start hunting spots you and I wouldn't think about....and terrain wind direction etc go out the window .....maybe i should expand my mind and be a creative hunter.....NOW WHERE IS THE NEAREST DEER SIGN

bowriter

R.I.P.
Hunters may find this funny and I guess it is.

Unless you know a little something. Truth is, I use to use these signs quite frequently when looking for lease land and once aquiring that land, it was often a starting point in scouting.

The state puts those signs up when a few deer meet cars in that area. Great place to look for a road crossing and then a stand location.

Analogous to a hunter continually seeing deer cross the road in a specific spot (think gravel road on a WMA) as he drives back to camp. That deer did not get to that road by helicopter. That is how I found the two most productive stands I had on Cheatham and knew what time frame they would be "hot".

Don't laugh at a stupid idea until you give it a lot of thought.

Bone Collector

bowriter said:
Hunters may find this funny and I guess it is.

Unless you know a little something. Truth is, I use to use these signs quite frequently when looking for lease land and once aquiring that land, it was often a starting point in scouting.

The state puts those signs up when a few deer meet cars in that area. Great place to look for a road crossing and then a stand location.

Analogous to a hunter continually seeing deer cross the road in a specific spot (think gravel road on a WMA) as he drives back to camp. That deer did not get to that road by helicopter. That is how I found the two most productive stands I had on Cheatham and knew what time frame they would be "hot".

Don't laugh at a stupid idea until you give it a lot of thought.

BW i don't know if you saw it earlier but someone posted a link to an audio clip of a woman calling a radio station telling the DJ that the govt. needed to move the deer crossing signs to more rural areas, because she had hit 3 deer near the signs and she thought it dumb that they would put deer crossings in high traffic areas.

that being said your tactic makes perfect sense.

Public land rat

there is a deer croosing sign between the 2 entrances to sum land i hunt. that was the first thing i noticed about the area. 2nd thing i noticed was the deers major highway in a thicket close by. id like to thank whoever put up those signs