Hunted over the plot the other evening

tnclayboy

Had One doe come out into the plot ,but wouldn't you know I was standing up stretching at the time I managed to get one pic of her as she exited the plot.
DSC02223.jpg

DSC02219.jpg

DSC02227.jpg

BSK

I'm starting to get a lot of pictures in the late afternoon in my plots. Of course, lots of night-time pics too, but all the "legal hunting time" pics are late afternoon.

gil1

BSK or anyone - How do you set up your trailcam on a plot? Just aim it randomly out in the plot and hope that's where deer are feeding? Near an entrance/exit trail? What are the factors that make you put it where you do? Asking because I've got a winter wheat plot that's like 200 yards by 50 yards. How do I know where to put it for best traffic?

BSK

gil1 said:
BSK or anyone - How do you set up your trailcam on a plot? Just aim it randomly out in the plot and hope that's where deer are feeding? Near an entrance/exit trail? What are the factors that make you put it where you do? Asking because I've got a winter wheat plot that's like 200 yards by 50 yards. How do I know where to put it for best traffic?

gil1,

If it occurs, I try to place cameras at "bottlenecks" in plots--any feature that will funnel movement. If no bottlenecks exist, then I usually put the camera anywhere along the southern edge of the plot (where I can aim the camera north), and then move the camera ever week to a new location. You will get pictures where the deer is too far away to tell what it is, but you will also get some good upclose pics.

Some deer couldn't care less about the flash. Others will avoid it, and it doesn't take long for them to learn EXACTLY where they have to walk to trigger the camera. I've watched deer feed down a plot, get to the trigger area of the camera, leave the plot and walk behind the tree the camera is on, and then re-enter the plot and keep feeding just outside the camera's trigger range. They learn very fast. That's why I move my cameras frequently. Just 30 yards down the edge of the plot will make a difference. I may end up using 5 to 8 different locations along the edge of a plot over the course of two months.

gil1

BSK said:
gil1 said:

gil1,

If it occurs, I try to place cameras at "bottlenecks" in plots--any feature that will funnel movement. If no bottlenecks exist, then I usually put the camera anywhere along the southern edge of the plot (where I can aim the camera north), and then move the camera ever week to a new location. You will get pictures where the deer is too far away to tell what it is, but you will also get some good upclose pics.

Some deer couldn't care less about the flash. Others will avoid it, and it doesn't take long for them to learn EXACTLY where they have to walk to trigger the camera. I've watched deer feed down a plot, get to the trigger area of the camera, leave the plot and walk behind the tree the camera is on, and then re-enter the plot and keep feeding just outside the camera's trigger range. They learn very fast. That's why I move my cameras frequently. Just 30 yards down the edge of the plot will make a difference. I may end up using 5 to 8 different locations along the edge of a plot over the course of two months.
Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I'll just play with it and see what works. Just occurred to me, there are no trees around this plot to strap the camera to, just high brush. Guess I'll have to rig some kind of portable pole up. Outdoorbob is mailing me my first cam today, and I'm all excited to play with it.

BSK

I've used a standard metal fence-post that I would pound into the ground at each location. Although that's not the most secure situation, as the metal post is easy to yank out of the ground.

gil1

Good idea. I'm thinking where I am is pretty secure, and I can hide it in the brush a little. Thanks for your help.

BSK

Make sure to trim away all weeds, branches and tall grass in front of the camera. Not only will "swaying, sunlight objects" trigger the came, they will reflect a lot of the flashes power, causing the camera to tone down the flash, hence not illuminate deer in the distance.

gil1

Hmmm. Interesting tip. Thanks. I may be PMing you about timing settings for plot photos if that's okay. Outdoorbob is kind of hurting lately. Thanks.

BSK

In just the last couple of days--since the temeraptures have cooled--I'm starting to get a ton of older buck pictures in food plots. I've gotten more older buck pictures since the front came through Tuesday than I have in the previous three weeks combined.

tnclayboy

BSK, I have a 1/4 A plot I can see from my bedroom window that is in ladino clover and has sawtooth Oaks bordering it .To look down into the clover and see hundreds of Acorns is truly a thing of beuty. I am able to keep an eye on it when I'm home and the Deer are coming and going threw there all day . This is the first time since the trees started producing ,that they were still falling this late . It looks like they will hold on for a few more weeks. I picked up about 100 Acorns the other day and I'm going to try to grow a few more.

Latest posts