How Ruger cleans all those fish so quickly….

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I know some love trout……but id soon eat a gizzard shad!
The first time I had it was from the stocked ones in the "lake" at Martin.
They were "ok" but far from something I would crave.
The next time was on the bank of the White River and @woodyard grilled them up along with fried taters, onions and peppers.
Good dose of freezer slaw on the side.
They had been swimming about an hour prior to cooking.
Best thing I have ever ate in my life.

Lt.Dan

The first time I had it was from the stocked ones in the "lake" at Martin.
They were "ok" but far from something I would crave.
The next time was on the bank of the White River and @woodyard grilled them up along with fried taters, onions and peppers.
Good dose of freezer slaw on the side.
They had been swimming about an hour prior to cooking.
Best thing I have ever ate in my life.
Fresh wild caught is always best. Stockies need to be in the water a few moths to begin to have any taste. I caught a couple fresh stockies this year (less than a month in the lake) their bellies were empty. They hadn't eaten a thing. Haven't eaten them yet, they will probably be flavorless.

WTM

Fresh wild caught is always best. Stockies need to be in the water a few moths to begin to have any taste. I caught a couple fresh stockies this year (less than a month in the lake) their bellies were empty. They hadn't eaten a thing. Haven't eaten them yet, they will probably be flavorless.
yeah ive only ate it one time in a high end restaurant, grilled. supposedly farm raised. tasted about as bad as my step moms jack mackeral patties. maybe farm raised has a higher omega 3 content like salmon, which i also despise lol.

given the choice and a gun to my head, id rather eat a deep fried dog turd.

BigCityBubba

My nephew texted me a couple months back after fishing the Caney and asked how I cook trout so they have flavor. I had no suggestions. He now smokes all of the trout he catches.

I used to take a bass boat down below Dale Hollow and catch trout. I would only keep the larger ones which were holdovers. I would keep them in the live well until I was ready to clean them. When they are that fresh, after gutting, you can grab the head and pull it back and it will pull the skin right off the trout. You can then run your fingers down the spine and pull the fillets off with your hands. I would lightly dust with corn meal and fry and then make an almondine sauce and pour over it. Probably the best way I have ever had it.

Last edited:

Lt.Dan

My nephew texted me a couple months back after fishing the Caney and asked how I cook trout so they have flavor. I had no suggestions. He now smokes all of the trout he catches.

I used to take a bass boat down below Dale Hollow and catch trout. I would only keep the larger ones which were holdovers. I would keep them in the live well until I was ready to clean them. When they are that fresh, after gutting, you can grab the head and pull it back and it will pull the skin right off the trout. You can then run your fingers down the spine and pull the fillets off with your hands. I would lightly dust with corn meal and fry and then make an almondine sauce and pour over it. Probably the best way I have ever had it.
I always just gut and gill the trout. Then usually cook it over an open fire in cast iron with butter and a little oil to keep the butter from burning. Most always this is a camping breakfast meal.

7mm08

On the opposite end ….. speckled Seatrout is one of the best fish you will ever eat. Brook trout are awesome….. rainbows aren't that great.

BuckWild

Been scaling bass and crappie with a water hose for at least 30 years.

Piece of plywood with two deck screws sticking out about 2 inches and a LOT of yard on the far side of the plywood.

Just a regular nozzle with a small stream of water is all it takes.

BuckWild

If you have ever eaten real non hatchery rainbow trout caught in deep water lakes, you'd know how delicious they are. I shipped the 5 lb rainbow I caught last month in Idaho back home.
Invited several neighbors over when I cooked it. My one neighbor doesn't even like fish and when she sampled it, kind of lost her sh!t. She couldn't stop eating it. :p

The meat was RED and so firm. Absolutely delicious.

Stocked fish may be a light pink but the meat is always a little mushy to me.

Back when I lived in Washington state, we trout fished a lot and always smoked the trout that we caught as they were all stocked lake fish. Except for the Steelhead trout. Those things were awesome.

Latest posts