How much to restore a shotgun?

Kirk

I was going through some older firearms left to us by my late Grandfather and my late Father. One of the shotguns holds great sentimental value to me, a Stevens 5100 Double Barrel 12ga Shotgun.
The barrel is in desperate need of bluing and the stock needs some work.

Anyone have a ball park idea how much it costs to restore a shot gun?

Rackseeker

Depends who you get to do it and how much work it will take to get it in the cond. you are wanting to get it back to. A gloss blued finish will cost more than a matte finish. If you would post or e-mail some pictures of the shotgun I could give you a appox. figure. I have been restoring a few on the side.

firefox

If you take it to a good gunsmith just to refinish you will be looking at over $700 to make the metal and wood look good!
I had a Glenfield 60 .22LR handed down to me and looked into professional restoration work. It would have cost me over $400 to refinish a $50 rifle. That same rifle had a ton of sentimental value to me. I decided to do it myself. Heck, I figured I couldn't do much more damage than was already there so I went at it. Over the hours of scraping, sanding, cleaning, and refinishing memories of carrying that rifle in the field and shooting towards rabbits and squirrels came flooding back into my mind. That cheap Glenfield model 60 is the least valuable rifle in my house. It holds the fondest memories and will never be sold. When I was refinishing the stock I was able to remember when several scratches happened. A very rewarding experience can be gained by learning to restore a rifle/shotgun that holds a lot of sentimental value! I hope you give it a go ;)

Locksley

firefox said:
If you take it to a good gunsmith just to refinish you will be looking at over $700 to make the metal and wood look good!
I had a Glenfield 60 .22LR handed down to me and looked into professional restoration work. It would have cost me over $400 to refinish a $50 rifle. That same rifle had a ton of sentimental value to me. I decided to do it myself. Heck, I figured I couldn't do much more damage than was already there so I went at it. Over the hours of scraping, sanding, cleaning, and refinishing memories of carrying that rifle in the field and shooting towards rabbits and squirrels came flooding back into my mind. That cheap Glenfield model 60 is the least valuable rifle in my house. It holds the fondest memories and will never be sold. When I was refinishing the stock I was able to remember when several scratches happened. A very rewarding experience can be gained by learning to restore a rifle/shotgun that holds a lot of sentimental value! I hope you give it a go ;)

Well OLDETIMER lives in Normandy not far from Mount Eagle and he is one of the best stock finishers I know of. You might let him try the refinish job for you.
Locksley

Tiny

Locksley said:
firefox said:

Well OLDETIMER lives in Normandy not far from Mount Eagle and he is one of the best stock finishers I know of. You might let him try the refinish job for you.
Locksley

Locksley,

Hope OLDTIMER is doing well as I haven't seen him around here in a good while and was thinking of him the other day.

Pardon the little post hi-jack. ;)

Locksley

Tiny said:
Locksley said:
firefox said:

Locksley

Locksley,

Hope OLDTIMER is doing well as I haven't seen him around here in a good while and was thinking of him the other day.

Pardon the little post hi-jack. ;)
OLDTIMER is doing well he just gave up trying to get everyone to shoot sidlock M/L Rifles and recurve bows .

Latest posts