How much should land lease for?

Hridge

Guys.. I'm leasing some land and am in negotiations with the land owner about a fair price for it. It is a large track and in the middle western portion of state. Consists of large track of timber and ag fields. It's a year round lease and the landowner only provides the land. We hang our own stands, clear roads, plant food plots, post it…..etc. Good to a little over good deer heard. What's land leasing for per acre in your areas (don't need to know specific county or anything)? What's a top end per acre for Tennessee and what the bottom end?

Swampster

Regardless of features, I would want somewhere over 1.0% of the land market value to grant an open hunting lease. I know you, and likely most others would rather see a dollar figure estimate. So, for 500 acres worth $2,000 an acre, that would be $10,000 a year. For the landowner, it is more about liability and economics than it is about the quantity and quality of deer or other wildlife. For my farmland, I currently get about 2.5% of market value for rent. In the end, the details of the contract could play a big part as well.

Hridge

Regardless of features, I would want somewhere over 1.0% of the land market value to grant an open hunting lease. I know you, and likely most others would rather see a dollar figure estimate. So, for 500 acres worth $2,000 an acre, that would be $10,000 a year. For the landowner, it is more about liability and economics than it is about the quantity and quality of deer or other wildlife. For my farmland, I currently get about 2.5% of market value for rent. In the end, the details of the contract could play a big part as well.
Great feedback and very much appreciated!! Do you have a place for your group to stay?

Bone Collector

I have never leased, but most of the leases I see and hear of are around $10+/acre. I am in Middle TN and there isn't really any leases available, but SW of me (Wayne/Perry) there is timber land and if memory serves me it is all $10+/acre.

I know a guy at work that has a lease in Hohenwald, but I don't know what they pay per acre, just the buy in, for land access, food plots, stands etc. I'm guessing it is $10+/acre.

I have seen it as high as $25/acre. Smaller tracts are usually more expensive, I've seen them at $40/Acre, but that is more about what Swampster was talking about (economics, etc.)

Headhunter

Uh, way to much for land in TN unless you have 150" or better deer by the dozens.

webfeet7

We just leased a large tract (1250 acres) for $8 an acre. It's also very rough terrain with no ag

megalomaniac

MS land brings $7 per acre up to $45 per acre depending on the quality of deer and how close you are to a population center.

As mentioned before, somewhere between 0.5% and 2.5% of the land value per acre is reasonable depending on antler potential. Less than that, and it probably isn't worth the time and headache of the landowner to bother with leasing. If you are getting less than that, be grateful to the landowner for giving you a deal, don't brag about it, as there are lots willing to pay more.

Some of the YouTube channels in combination with OnX are increasing the value of leased land. Landowners are getting cold calls from 5 to 10 people a year wanting to hunt their land. They are realizing they have a valuable commodity (hunting rights) they never knew they had. The more people cold calling hoping to get to hunt for free just further inflates the value in their minds.

As more and more folks keep paying more and more for hunting rights, the price will keep going up. In a few years, I don't see much land in TN going for less than $10 per acre, with many parcels bringing $25.

Locally in south MS, I pay $9.50 per acre for hunting rights on land that a 120in buck is a giant (but it's 10 miles from my house, and close to a city of 75,000 people).

TheLBLman

As more and more folks keep paying more and more for hunting rights, the price will keep going up. In a few years, I don't see much land in TN going for less than $10 per acre, with many parcels bringing $25.

I disagree with you.
Keep in mind I'm talking about deer hunting leases,
as it can be totally different with waterfowl,
and it's totally different anywhere within a few minutes
of a major metropolitan area.

Here's why:

Many lease prices simply got too high.
The more avid, lifetime hunters recently started doing more buying than leasing of hunting land.
These hunters are no longer in the market of "leasing" hunting land. However, these also tend to be the very, most avid deer hunters who are "dying out" and not being replaced. Many their heirs don't hunt, and the next generation will either beg for deer hunters, or lease the hunting rights.

At the same time, we've been losing more "trophy" minded deer hunters than gaining. What I mean by this is that most of the new deer hunters are simply that "deer" hunters, many getting into hunting mainly to obtain free-range "organic" meat. Some of these hunters are willing to pay a small fee to hunt, but most can find places to kill a deer from a friend who will simply let them hunt on his land.

But maybe most significantly, collectively, we deer hunters are "aging out". There are relatively few young hunters replacing us older ones. As to those of us still hunting, we're not hunting as hard, not hunting as much, and becoming increasingly less likely to over-pay for a little more deer hunting opportunity.

I've been hunting family land, private land, leased land, and public land now for over 5 decades in TN. Despite all the rhetoric to the contrary, there are more places with deer now in TN than at most any time in the past. What's more, our public land deer hunting is currently the least crowded I've ever seen, again, in over 50 years of hunting public lands.

Sure, public lands close to major cities are crowded. lease prices there are high, this is nothing new. What I'm saying is they were even more crowded (if they had deer) two decades ago.

What's essentially, relatively, gone is no-cost deer hunting simply for the asking of the landowner. But then, if all you really want is to kill a deer, many landowners will beg you to come kill some on their property. The caveat is, "if they feel they can trust you". The sincere attending of events that build long-term friendships & trust, such as Sunday school or church, will usually provide most any decent fellow a place to deer hunt (assuming some there own land with deer).

What I see happening with deer hunting, has already happened with squirrel hunting. In my youth, the opening of squirrel season was a bigger event for more hunters than the opening of deer season is today. There also seems to be an issue in many areas of many deer hunters more or less just quitting deer hunting to instead waterfowl hunt. As waterfowl hunting become increasingly more expensive, perhaps most those aging codgers will simply just quit hunting entirely?

As more proof of less deer hunting, take a look at the number of archery deer hunters. We had perhaps 10 times more bowhunters here 10 years ago as compared to now. By no means have all these quit deer hunting, but they certainly are not spending as many days annually deer hunting as they were a few years ago.

Last but not least, a growing number of TN deer hunters have found better "free" public land deer hunting as non-residents in other states, and are abandoning leasing deer hunting land in TN. They're simply taking what they spent on leasing, applying that to a "vacation" public land hunt in some other state. Others are simply saving their money, and going back to hunting land owned by friends & family, and/or public lands.

These are the trends I'm seeing, and they are not unique to Tennessee. They are happening in most other deer-hunting states as well, and the law of supply vs demand will determine the prices.

Want more proof we avid deer hunters are a dying breed?

Last edited:

dgolden

I'd say average in my area is $10-12 per acre. I'm in west Tn. We have 1 lease that is $15 per acre and another that is $10. Full year lease and we pay for hunting liability insurance.

Swampster

Uh, way to much for land in TN unless you have 150" or better deer by the dozens.
It is an economic and ROI approach. I don't lease for hunting, only for agriculture. Just an illustration of what I would require if I did. Note that for crop production I require a much higher return. I do allow some limited hunting on my land for a few people but charge nothing. It is a small return of a different kind for the gifts that God has given.

TheLBLman

Half of ours is $6.50, the other half is $9.25. No difference between the two other than the pimp (AMP) that took over high half 4 yrs ago.
Seems they're pricing themselves out of business?

If these are only 1-yr leases of no-agriculture timber tracts, debatable if even $2 an acre is a fair trade for hunting privileges?

But the leases are worth whatever people are willing (or able) to pay.
Many the younger hunters might be willing, but they're not able.

Headhunter

It is an economic and ROI approach. I don't lease for hunting, only for agriculture. Just an illustration of what I would require if I did. Note that for crop production I require a much higher return. I do allow some limited hunting on my land for a few people but charge nothing. It is a small return of a different kind for the gifts that God has given.
the question posed was about leasing ground for hunting. Not sure why you would respond with agriculture lease prices. I will hunt public, heck for $20 an acre on 500 acres you (and another person or 2) could take a hunting trip somewhere.

Antler Daddy

For me...I look at how many days I will get to hunt it, distance, # of bucks can harvest, potential quality, and if I can take a guest/kids as part of my limit.

Ames was a steal at $1200 pre-CWD for 20K acres. A lease in KY for $1500 might work if I could dedicate the time off.

Most leases don't allow any guests other than a kid. That is almost a deal killer for me. If I want to take one adult with me (brother, son, whoever), I am willing to pay extra and share the limit for just for the camaraderie.

I like the public land that I hunt. I can spend the money on hotel rooms. Camping and hunting at same time can be a lot of work!

AlabamaSwamper

At $10-$12 am acre your dues in order to keep numbers down will be $1000-$1500

For $1500 I can buy a bow permit in IL and hunt for two weeks

And pass bigger deer than I'll ever kill in southern Middle Tennessee on land that grows nothing but pine trees.

No thank you

I'm sure in upper Middle Tennessee where 140"+ are possible is worth that.

Maybe

megalomaniac

Its amazing the the difference in perspectives between TN and MS when it comes to hunting leases. I suppose it's because a MUCH larger percentage of the population in MS deer hunts. And LOTS of kids/teenagers hunt. That's the norm down here.

As a consequence, $3000 per membership leases are not uncommon (good ground producing at least 140in buck annually on the lease with 1 hunter per 150 acres). $750 per year leases are everywhere (poor antler quality with 1 hunter per 75 ac). I have multiple friends who have no problem paying $5000 per year for their leases. They justify it because they don't spent $4000 to $7500 annually on a guided hunt in the Midwest.

I even have a friend whos membership is $12,000 per year on his club. And they OWN the land!!! (Dues go to land payments, utilities, food plots ,etc,)

Heck, I spend $2000 annually on my properties I own in TN (NOT counting taxes) for seed, fertilizer, diesel. And that's not counting wear and tear/ maintenance on the equipment. On my farms in TN which are greenbelted, taxes alone are $3 to $4 per acre!

For most deer hunting is not cheap.

Sure, I have access to 100,000 acres of public 30 min from my doorstep... but down here, the public is run into the dirt with dog hunters and the population of deer is less than 5 per square mile.