How many shots

Wobblyshot1

There are 7000 grains by weight to a pound. Ten ounces is .625 pound (10 ozs divided by 16 ozs ) .
.625lb X 7000 grs = 4375 grs by weight. Since they recommend using a standard black powder volumetric measure to throw your charge then it must be understood that BH209 charge by volume of 100 grs would actually only weigh 70 grs per Western Powder's website.

GMB54

It should also be mentioned when comparing BH209 to other powders......You usually dont need as much. So for example you dont need 100gr by volume to equal 2 pellets or 100gr of loose Pyrodex. You would only need around 85gr by volume. You get even more shots if trying to achieve about the same fps as other powders.

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
Okay so I will need less bh to equal 100 grains of 777 powder??

Another question: I was told to use 209 shotgun primer instead of 209 muzzleloader primer.. any thoughts on this?

Jcalder

TNGRIZZLY_":kfyf3vv2 said:

Another question: I was told to use 209 shotgun primer instead of 209 muzzleloader primer.. any thoughts on this?
Absolutely use a shotgun primer and not one for a muzzleloader. I preferred a federal 209a primer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
Jcalder":3gi7e4ri said:
TNGRIZZLY_":3gi7e4ri said:

Absolutely use a shotgun primer and not one for a muzzleloader. I preferred a federal 209a primer.

Okay thanks

GMB54

TNGRIZZLY_":331jpawm said:

Triple7 loose will be much closer. Heavier loads and heavier bullets will give BH209 the speed edge over loose Triple7. So if shooting a 250gr with 100gr of either the speed is pretty close. Change bullets to a 300gr and BH209 starts pulling away. Change to a max 120gr load with a 250gr and its also beating T7.

Primer choice is dependent on the rifle but they need to be regular shotshell primers. Dont use 209 muzzleloader primers with BH209. I can use nothing but a Win209 in my Knights and it never fails. A Fed209a works just as well if it fits well and if it does not leak like a belching blast furnace.

For example in CVA, the NSI aka Nobel 209/686 primers work just fine. They are as long as a Win209 but larger OD so they fit the breach plug better. The Fed209a is about .003 shorter and a CCI is nearly .005 shorter. Both might leak much more. All that extra energy is wasted if you get a lot of blowby. All you get is a filthy breach and more carbon in your flash channel. Ideally you want your primer to get about a .003 crush when you ONLY close the action on it. Just put a measured primer in and snap the action shut. Measure it again to see if you got any primer crush. DONT FIRE IT.

When you have around a .003 primer crush nearly any of them work fine in a good breach plug. If your primers dont crush you can either shim to achieve a good head space or get some burna? o-rings to seal the primer pocket. The o-rings will last 20 shots or so and they are cheap. McMasters sells the correct o-rings for the primer pocket in CVAs and other BREAK ACTIONS. They wont work right in a bolt gun.
L9A2kuC.png

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
GMB54":u8dcp84k said:
TNGRIZZLY_":u8dcp84k said:

Triple7 loose will be much closer. Heavier loads and heavier bullets will give BH209 the speed edge over loose Triple7. So if shooting a 250gr with 100gr of either the speed is pretty close. Change bullets to a 300gr and BH209 starts pulling away. Change to a max 120gr load with a 250gr and its also beating T7.

Primer choice is dependent on the rifle but they need to be regular shotshell primers. Dont use 209 muzzleloader primers with BH209. I can use nothing but a Win209 in my Knights and it never fails. A Fed209a works just as well if it fits well and if it does not leak like a belching blast furnace.

For example in CVA, the NSI aka Nobel 209/686 primers work just fine. They are as long as a Win209 but larger OD so they fit the breach plug better. The Fed209a is about .003 shorter and a CCI is nearly .005 shorter. Both might leak much more. All that extra energy is wasted if you get a lot of blowby. All you get is a filthy breach and more carbon in your flash channel. Ideally you want your primer to get about a .003 crush when you ONLY close the action on it. Just put a measured primer in and snap the action shut. Measure it again to see if you got any primer crush. DONT FIRE IT.

When you have around a .003 primer crush nearly any of them work fine in a good breach plug. If your primers dont crush you can either shim to achieve a good head space or get some burna? o-rings to seal the primer pocket. The o-rings will last 20 shots or so and they are cheap. McMasters sells the correct o-rings for the primer pocket in CVAs and other BREAK ACTIONS. They wont work right in a bolt gun.
L9A2kuC.png

Thanks.. you all have it broke down to science. .. I bought the bh breach plug, so now I need to find some bh powder.. any advice on bullets?

Remington700

TNGRIZZLY_":1m6peo3b said:
Academy didn't have any powder or primer... Is there a place everyone prefer to buy from?

I ordered my powder off Midway. Be prepared to pay a hazardous material expense. It was still the cheapest I found it. I had a hard time finding the CCI and Federal magnum primers in numbers less than 1,000. I lucked up and had a friend with 100 laying around.

GMB54

TNGRIZZLY_":2ts3lk3e said:
Thanks.. you all have it broke down to science. .. I bought the bh breach plug, so now I need to find some bh powder.. any advice on bullets?

Something cheap and still plenty lethal. Dont need to be sending $1+ a piece bullets down range until you get used to the rifle.

Speer 45cal 260gr HP. They are about $12-13/50. Cheap ole 250gr XTPs will also work but the Speer is a much better bullet. Sportmans might have them in stock. Speers sell out fast. In 300gr either the Speer 300gr Deep Curl or XTP. Dont waste your money on XTP MAGs, they just are not needed especially in the 300gr.

Cant comment on sabot without knowing what rifle. Newer CVAs for example are usually pretty good with a Harvester SMOOTH sabot. Not the Crushrib unless the bore is tight.

GMB54

I would try the Harvester black EZ-Load sabots aka smooth short black. The right ones are labeled "300gr or less bullets". Part# H5045SB. They are around a buck cheaper than the Crushribs. I actually use that sabot in a custom built 50cal with smokeless. Its a good tough sabot. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... uctId/5481

Grafs and Midsouth Shooters Supply normally have the best sabot pricing and a good selection of bullets. A good custom bullet vendor with VERY reasonable pricing is Fury Custom Bullet. Starting at around $44/50 plus shipping. His bullets have jackets bonded to the lead core.
https://www.furycustombullets.com/webap ... zzleloader

Jcalder

TNGRIZZLY_":2e2diem5 said:
Why does all the bullets that goes into a sabot says 45cal? Wouldn't that be a little small for the rifleing for a 50cal
Cause it's showing actual diameter of the bullet. And when looking at sabots you need to make sure you get the proper sized sabots. They make a sabot for a 50 cal gun, and 44 (.429) bullet, for a .451/.452 bullet, .458 bullet, all for a 50 cal gun

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
Jcalder":3daf3cx4 said:
TNGRIZZLY_":3daf3cx4 said:
Why does all the bullets that goes into a sabot says 45cal? Wouldn't that be a little small for the rifleing for a 50cal
Cause it's showing actual diameter of the bullet. And when looking at sabots you need to make sure you get the proper sized sabots. They make a sabot for a 50 cal gun, and 44 (.429) bullet, for a .451/.452 bullet, .458 bullet, all for a 50 cal gun

Thanks, all this get me frustrating.. why can't it be easy as buying bullets for a rifle/shotgun..

GMB54

You can buy prepackaged bullet/sabot combos and you will pay WAY more for the "convenience". You can buy 50cal lead conicals too and all you need are some felt wads. You can bend over and buy Powerbelts and pay more than double what they are worth from a performance standpoint.

Or you can grab a 50pack of the Harvester smooth black shorts and a 50pack of 452-300gr XTPs/Deepcurls then go out and kill anything the other options will for a fraction the price. A max load of BH209 and a 300gr bullet is good for around 2000fps. That is around the same FPE as Hornady"s 45/70 325gr FTX ammo that will set you back almost 2 bucks a shot.

Latest posts