Cold bore shots?

LanceS4803

Since I had two unrelated questions, I did two posts.
Working on a heavier bullet load. 300gr Hornady SST with 110gr of BH209. 2,032fps (The 110gr is my normal load with 250gr, also.)
After zeroing at 100yds, keeping separate targets for cold bore/just cleaned (which always hits 1" higher) and then fouled barrel shots.
At 150yds, I ran into this. Another MZ shooter was with me, and we are perplexed.
The CB shots actually struck the exact same height as the 100yd zero. The second shot, on the dirty barrel, hit the expected 4.5" low.
No noticeable difference in the force required to load and seat, either CB or followup shot.
I would have expected the CB shots to also be low.

Attachments

• target CB.jpg
    target CB.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 736

fairchaser

I think you just have a very inconsistent group. So, the fact that the 150 yd shot hit near the 100 yd cold bore shot is coincidental to the group. I'm would decide if you want to hunt with a fouled barrel or clean barrel and set your sights accordingly.

It's hard to develop a cold bore group since you have to allow the barrel to completely cool down and then shoot and wait again. I guess I would hope that the fouled barrel group is the most consistent and also consistent with a cold bore and go with that set up for the season. This is especially true if you plan to unload your rifle periodically by shooting it.

fairchaser

Something else to consider is the method for measuring powder. Powder measured by volume can vary greatly compared with powder measured by weight.

LanceS4803

I'm planning on hunting with a fouled barrel. Too many variables with cold bore, which was more of an experiment. From reading more on it, it seems to be typical to have a CB shot be 1.5" high at 100yds.
This rifle was putting groups into 3" at 200yds (fouled barrel) at the end of the day. That is my max range with a MZ anyway and will be PLENTY good for elk next month.

iowavf

When I used 777, 1st shot from clean barrel was always around 10" high. Since I didn't want to clean my barrel after every shot while hunting, I'd zero it in with a fouled barrel. Using black horn that and problem doesn't exist anymore, shoots the same clean or fouled and no crud ring to push through.

LanceS4803

iowavf":i6hhovdn said:
When I used 777, 1st shot from clean barrel was always around 10" high. Since I didn't want to clean my barrel after every shot while hunting, I'd zero it in with a fouled barrel. Using black horn that and problem doesn't exist anymore, shoots the same clean or fouled and no crud ring to push through.

I used to shoot 777, do NOT miss that ring! Although it was kind of cool how you moved the pellets around with the pipe cleaner.

Latest posts