how many pins do you use?

Ladys man

how many came on your sight that you use? all these sights are coming with 5 pins or more which i dnt like but is a selling point or is there a use for all them? i use a single pin HHA and love it, but was curious to see what you all shot?

bowhunter163

Lady's man said:
TNDeerGuy said:
I use a 4-pin extreme sight for hunting and single pin viper for targets.

i figured the exact opposite. thought multiple pins for target and single pin for hunting.
Shooting target you have alot of time to set your yardage on your sight . In a hunting situation when that buck is standing at 20 yards and then spooks and runs to 35 , are you gonna have time to adjust it ?

Crow Terminator

What I do is simply use two pins. I will set one at that same 20 mark like most of you are doing with single pin...and the other is set dead on at the farthest yardage I will shoot a deer at. Which now days would be 35-40 tops. So even though most of my bow kills are 18-21 yards, I have that bottom pin as a safety barrier in case the above scenarios do take place that I have two pins to gap shoot with and know not to raise that bottom pin above the deer's lungs. It keeps me from hoping I remember how far the arrow dropped at 35 yds from a 20 yd center. My pin gap from 20 yard pin to 35 yard pin is .160.

In ASA shoots, it blows my mind to shoot Bow Novice class with guys using 5 and 7 pin setups for that class....30 yard max. My bow is a slower bow...shooting upper 270 fps range. I tried using a 3 pin setup with an 18, 23, and 28 yard pins, and my sight picture was too cluttered due to the pins being so close together. I can't imagine shooting with 5 pins just to get to 30. I'm doing it now with 2 pins...one at 18 and one at 30.

bowhunter163

Crow Terminator said:
What I do is simply use two pins. I will set one at that same 20 mark like most of you are doing with single pin...and the other is set dead on at the farthest yardage I will shoot a deer at. Which now days would be 35-40 tops. So even though most of my bow kills are 18-21 yards, I have that bottom pin as a safety barrier in case the above scenarios do take place that I have two pins to gap shoot with and know not to raise that bottom pin above the deer's lungs. It keeps me from hoping I remember how far the arrow dropped at 35 yds from a 20 yd center. My pin gap from 20 yard pin to 35 yard pin is .160.

In ASA shoots, it blows my mind to shoot Bow Novice class with guys using 5 and 7 pin setups for that class....30 yard max. My bow is a slower bow...shooting upper 270 fps range. I tried using a 3 pin setup with an 18, 23, and 28 yard pins, and my sight picture was too cluttered due to the pins being so close together. I can't imagine shooting with 5 pins just to get to 30. I'm doing it now with 2 pins...one at 18 and one at 30.
I had the same problem with it being so cluttered . My solution was to shoot a heavy arrow and slow it down a bit . My pins are set at 18 24 and 29 on my 3-d bow

Crow Terminator

Yep I'm throwing some Lincoln log arrows myself with 140 grn tips in the front end. I tried doing the same thing you did, only I backed my bow down a bit to reduce the speed since I already had a heavy arrow, but the picture was still more cluttered than I like. I decided to try this 2 pin thing out after getting my bow back together and somewhat tuned. Shot the Bucks2Beards shoot this morning with the 2 pin setup and shot 14 up today with seven 12s. So it seemed to work okay for me...still got some tweaking to do on the bow though.

bowhunter163

Crow Terminator said:
Yep I'm throwing some Lincoln log arrows myself with 140 grn tips in the front end. I tried doing the same thing you did, only I backed my bow down a bit to reduce the speed since I already had a heavy arrow, but the picture was still more cluttered than I like. I decided to try this 2 pin thing out after getting my bow back together and somewhat tuned. Shot the Bucks2Beards shoot this morning with the 2 pin setup and shot 14 up today with seven 12s. So it seemed to work okay for me...still got some tweaking to do on the bow though.
sweet man . I was planning on going to the R100 this weekend but called in to work . If my wife will let us I might come shoot at B2B tomorrow . After shooting a scope in field and coming back to pins anything more than one pin is cluttered to me . I just had to get used to it . It seems to be working . I just hope at Kentucky I can get my back tension to go off like normal .

TNDeerGuy

bowhunter163 said:
Lady's man said:
TNDeerGuy said:
I use a 4-pin extreme sight for hunting and single pin viper for targets.

i figured the exact opposite. thought multiple pins for target and single pin for hunting.
Shooting target you have alot of time to set your yardage on your sight . In a hunting situation when that buck is standing at 20 yards and then spooks and runs to 35 , are you gonna have time to adjust it ?

That is exactly why I use the setup I do�3D I have plenty of time, while hunting I'm just as likely to have one step out at 15 yards as I am to have one step out at 40 yards and I want to focus on making a good shot and not have to worry about how many inches to hold over the deer's back to get it in the cage.

Ladys man

UTGrad said:
I shoot a single pin year round. I set my sight at 25 yards during season. I'm 1.5" high at 15 yards and at 40 yards I hold on a deer's back if I ever shoot one that far.

exactly wat i do except my bows not fast enough to get to 40 yds bout 35 is max. set up more for kinetic energy than speed.

Toxophilite Phil

I have shot 1 pin for years. For hunting set the pin at a yardage that will let you shot it at the most yardage, say 23 yards. You can cover 0-29 yards with that setting. As long as stay in the vitals of the animal with it set there. Next setting may be at 32. Then you can get out to 35 yards. If a deer comes out on you and it happens so fast you can't move the pin then it is up to you the hunter to make the call, shoot or not.

Latest posts