Honda Foreman 500 U-joint

gtk

Staff member
Anybody here replace the u-joints on a 500 foreman (2008) ? Wondering how much trouble it will be. Also, hoping its the u-joints an not something major like the rear-end.

the four wheeler is stored at my parents barn while i'm in CO. When i was back at Xmas, i went to get on it and take it to deer camp, and it made an awful racket in the rear-end and wouldn't go. I can feel it "trying" to go, and it will try to reverse, but pops and stops moving.. I can see some movement in the boot that covers the u-joints, and the sound seems to be coming from there instead of the rear-end.

I lovingly say that "my son is the reason some animals eat their own young", as he is the one who tore it up and forgot to mention it to me...

Happysack

You will need to pull the rear end in order to get the driveshaft out so you can replace the u joints. It's not really a hard job but it can be a little time consuming. Definitely worth taking the time to do it yourself parts are not to expensive but labor costs will eat you alive.

jlanecr500

gtk":b02n5ge8 said:
No, there are u-joints on the 500, Coming from the transfer case to rear shaft. before the swingarm assembly stuff..

Gotcha. I thought it was the model with IRS. Anyway, I've replaced the ones in one of my Polaris 4 wheelers but the Honda should be easier. Seems like everything is harder to work on when it is a Polaris. Just depends on how mechanical you are.

Here is the u-joint at the front of the swingarm. It comes from Honda already installed into a slip on yoke for around $40 from Partzilla. I have ordered a lot of Suzuki and Honda parts from them. Awesome prices and quick shipping. It looks like you just disconnect the swingarm, pull it back, and slip the yoke off the transmission and the driveshaft. Reverse to install.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... ff67d044c1

gtk

Staff member
Thx all..

Google is my friend.. I started reading on it, and it seems if I am lucky/good, i can just loosen the swingarm stuff and more than likely I can get the ujoints out without having to take all the other rear end stuff off..

Andy S.":3rp3zawf said:
Give David a call at ATV Werx in Lakeland, TN. He is pretty sharp and he could discuss the specifics with you, what it entails, and what he would charge for parts and labor. He owns and rides Hondas and knows a lot about them.

ATV Werx
9875 Huff N Puff Road
Lakeland, TN 38002
(901) 746-7953

Before my next trip back to the Mid-south, I will call him.. Might be eaiser if I just take it to someone instsead of using all my visiting time up, working on a four wheeler

gtk

Staff member
Had to come back to the south for work. Ordered the ujoints and had then shipped to my parents, hoping that I was guessing right on the issue.

Took the rear end out and loosened the swing arm, and the ujoints fell out in pieces.

Wasn't a bad repair job at all, only bad thing was my back is now killing me after bending over so long working on it. I can definitely tell I'm getting a little older
80e30d393a645174eff9a4ddb800ad30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bull_TN

My u-joint shattered on me about two years ago (2004 Honda Foreman). I changed it myself too. I noticed a very small leak coming from where the u-joint goes into the transmission. When the u-joint exploded it must have damaged the seal. It's not enough for me to do anything about. I might have to add oil every six months or so. Just passing along the info in case you have a slow leak too.

Latest posts