Honda dirtbike compression question

CritterGitter

My younger brother has a honda , i believe 70 cc dirtbike. If i had to guess its probably a 2005 model. It never got ridden hard just occasionally around the backyard . It then sat for a few years . Ran flawlessly when it ran last. Me and my dad decided we wanted to get it back up and going so we cleaned the tank out , and carb. When we went to kickstart it there was no resistance, like it had zero compression. What would cause this ? And how would we go about fixing it

Blockhouse

My younger brother has a honda , i believe 70 cc dirtbike. If i had to guess its probably a 2005 model. It never got ridden hard just occasionally around the backyard . It then sat for a few years . Ran flawlessly when it ran last. Me and my dad decided we wanted to get it back up and going so we cleaned the tank out , and carb. When we went to kickstart it there was no resistance, like it had zero compression. What would cause this ? And how would we go about fixing it
Sounds like a valve may be stuck open. Take top end off for a look as you turn it over. Maybe it seized up over the long sit.

Blockhouse

If you see that the rockers are moving but the valve is stuck in an open position some wd40 on the valve stem and a light tap or nudge might do it. Those little motors are pretty bullet proof.
I bought a 79 xl100 years ago in a box. Put it back together and it cranked right up. Made about 5 hp - I remembered them being faster as a kid

tacoma2002

2-Step Enabled
A partially stuck valve or rings are the only things that can cause this issue if it was running well when parked.

You can put a little motor oil down in the cylinder and let it sit for a few minutes. If this raises the compression for a few "compression strokes" chances are you've got a collapsed or broken ring. If the engine was "stuck" when you first tried turning it over you could have broken a "stuck" ring causing the issue.

Id pull the 10mm valve cover bolts and take a peak at the valves as stated before. See if they're actually moving or one is stuck down a bit. If one is stuck use a good penetrating oil around the valve guides...be generous. Let it soak; repeat. Chances are you'll free it up.

Latest posts