Hogs this weekend

Heeter

Well since TWRA decided for some dumb reason to put hog season with dogs during deer season I guess we might as well get the hounds out and go kill a few this weekend

Heeter

the seasons are oct. 2-10 nov. 1-4 dec. 2-15 dec 31- jan 3... it makes no sence they should have put it after the last day of deer season until the day before turkey season then everyone would be happy

Heeter

The houndsmen wanted it after deer season... We dont want our dogs shot by some hunter if our dogs cross the road. Since hogs are big game and your supposed to wear orange during biggame hunts does that mean bow hunters have to wear orange during our hog hunts?

scn

Tree Tramp said:
Cant shoot a coyote with a rifle during archery but you can a hog. lol

Partially correct.

The proclamation was ammended to where the legal weapon during deer and bear archery only seasons is archery equipment only for wild hogs except that all big game weapons are legal during the hog dog hunts.

The ammendment came after the Hunting Guide was sent out for printing, so the information in the Hunting Guide isn't entirely correct.

In the counties with the hog dog hunts all big game hunters, including archery deer hunters, must wear blaze orange during those hog dog hunts.

Tree Tramp

Guess putting it after deer season or at least archery wouldve made to much sense. Dont have to wear orange on your own land, but that sucks for other hunters that hunt public. That is ridiculous for you guys to do that. Only causing unnecessary inconvenience for archery hunters, possible confrontations and putting the dogs at risk as well. No sense in it whatsoever, but it sounds about right.

scn

Since you are one that seems to look for fault with TWRA on any issue, I wouldn't have expected anything different from you-even if TWRA as in this case had nothing to do with the season.

As previously stated, the hog dog season was not a TWRA recommendation.

Tree Tramp

Well then stand up for us then scn! You guys represent us dont you? Crap like this is exactly why guys like me lose faith in TWRA. Who is to answer for it then? If not you then say who it is and ill give them my 2, i promise.

The system is broke when some politician that doesnt know the difference between a possum and a squirrel is making wildlife laws and noone that we pay to stand up for us is saying hey wait a minute. Blast away im done.

mike243

if the dogs stayed on property that they had permission to hunt there would never be a issue with deer hunters.

scn

muzzle said:
If its not in the hunting guide I dont see how TWRA can legally enforce it.

If you look on page 6 of the Hunting guide it says in bold print: "This publication is not a legal document."

The legal documents are Proclamations and Rules and Regulations that are required to be filed at every county's courthouse for public view. This is done every time a Proclamation is promulgated. That covers the legality of TWRA enforcing something. Legally, TWRA is not required to even publish a Hunting Guide, and certainly isn't bound by what is or isn't in the Guide.

In the case of the regulation on the hog hunting, it was passed in May and ammended at a later Commission meeting after the Hunting Guide was printed. As origionally passed if would have required archers across the state to wear blaze orange the entire season. As ammended, only those in the counties open for the hog dog hunts have to wear the blaze orange while those hunts are going on.

muzzle

So baiting may or may not be legal since the publication is not a legal document. And if TWRA isn't legally required to even publish rules and regulations then how do we know their laws and rules. I already know what your going to say though, it is up to the hunter to find out themselves, example, the county courthouse.

scn

muzzle said:
So baiting may or may not be legal since the publication is not a legal document. And if TWRA isn't legally required to even publish rules and regulations then how do we know their laws and rules. I already know what your going to say though, it is up to the hunter to find out themselves, example, the county courthouse.

There is no question on what is legal or not. That is covered when TWRA promulagates the Rules & Regulations and the Proclamations and what the legislature has as statutes in Title 70 of the Tennessee Codes Annotated. Baiting is covered by both statute and proclamation.

All of those are posted in the county courthouse for public review. In addition, I'm pretty sure they are on the agency website. But, there is no legal requirement for them to be in any other publication.

jr

im a hog dogger and won't put my hounds in the woods during archery season i would during the winter but my dogs are way to valuable to risk

Latest posts