hog ammo

Kimberman

Both will work fine. Most hogs that you will see are less than 200 lbs. If it works for deer, it will work for hogs.

JimFromTN

Both will kill hogs. Don't skimp on price when it comes to ammunition. Buy quality ammunition. The only problem with 16 ga is finding good quality slugs. I assume that you are shooting a smoothbore. If so, your cheap slugs are going to be foster slugs made of very soft lead. It will work for smaller hogs but may not give you the results that you are hoping for if you luck into a big hog. Brenneke makes a 16 ga classic magnum which should work pretty well. You might get some of those clip on or magnetic rifle sights as well or maybe even a saddle mount scope. Using a bead sight with a smooth bore is about as bad of accuracy that you can get. If you have a rifled barrel, Lightfield makes a sabotted slug for 16 ga.

JimFromTN

I don't think that its legal to hunt with a 22 mag in tn for hogs. What do you do if you can't get a shot at right behind the ear?

JimFromTN

I can't find that anywhere in the hunting regs. Wild hogs are classified as big game. The only mention of rimfire ammunition is that it is legal for small game except migratory birds.

LEGAL Equipment
Deer, Bear, ELK and Wild Hog Hunting

1. Shotguns using ammunition loaded with single solid ball or
slugs. No restriction on number of rounds in magazine.

2. Rifles using any center-fire ammunition.

3. Muzzleloading rifles, handguns or shotguns of .40 caliber
(.40-inches) minimum. These muzzleloading firearms are legal
during any gun season or hunt unless otherwise specified.
Muzzleloading firearms are defined as those firearms which are
incapable of being loaded from the breech.

4. Longbows, compound bows, crossbows, recurve bows and other
bows drawn or held by a mechanical device.

5. Hunting arrows and bolts with broadheads shall be of a barbless design and shall have sharpened blades.

6. Centerfire handguns having a barrel length of four inches or
more.

7. Firearms and archery equipment may be equipped with sighting
devices except those devices utilizing an artificial light capable of locating wildlife. Night vision scopes are illegal.

No mention of using rim-fire on hogs during squirrel season. I believe there are other states which allows it.

Bayou Buck

JimFromTN said:
I don't think that its legal to hunt with a 22 mag in tn for hogs. What do you do if you can't get a shot at right behind the ear?

If I dont have a head shot I dont shoot. I do my hog hunting in Louisiana where it is legal to hunt with rimfire. The point of the post was to demonstrate that it doesnt take a large round to take down a big hog if you are patient and take a good shot. 16 guage shoot work fine.
this one I shot with .22mag It was 245 lbs
101_0688.jpg

JimFromTN

Bayou Buck said:
JimFromTN said:

If I dont have a head shot I dont shoot. I do my hog hunting in Louisiana where it is legal to hunt with rimfire. The point of the post was to demonstrate that it doesnt take a large round to take down a big hog if you are patient and take a good shot. 16 guage shoot work fine.

Yes, I get your point that a 22 mag will kill a hog if you shoot them behind the ear and that its great that you have so many hogs that you can wait for that perfect shot but some of us don't have that luxury so we don't want to send people into the woods with a 22 mag just to have them not take a shot on a hog of a lifetime because they could not get a shot behind the ear or even worse they go ahead and take the shot anyway just to have the hog run off with a 22 cal bullet in them never to be seen again. I assume thats probably why they are not legal to hunt with in TN.

fishboy1

Hogs are tough. Use a well constructed bullet.
Leave the fragile ballistic tips and varmint style hollow points at home.

Unless you want to limit yourself to earhole shots, use the 270 with a core-lok type bullet. No need to spend big bucks on premium bullets, but you want a bonded jacket.

Hogs develop a "shield" of fat and gristle on their shoulders/neck area that eats up ballistic energy. Shoot a big hog in the shoulder with a poorly constructed bullet and you are 60-40% on loosing it. Yeah it will probably die, but the fat does an amazing job sealing up your bullet hole as it runs a good long way leaving little or no trail.

The heart is located a little lower and further forward than on a deer so consider a 1/4 away shot entering the armpit and exiting in front part of the opposite shoulder as your high percentage shot.

JimFromTN

I shot a 220 lb hog with a 180 gr 300 win mag core-lok in the shoulder and he dropped like a rock. There was nothing left of the bullet. I found small shreds of copper on the inside of the opposite shoulder. I have made that same shot on deer and it blew out the opposite shoulder to the point where it was not salvagable to eat. The shield was at least a half inch thick.

knightrider

bucknuts said:
i killed a hog during turkey season at five yards away with 3 12 gauge turkey shells she weighed bout 200 pounds or a lil over
not saying you did any thing wrong but doesnt it have to be a solid bullet like a rifle or slug not shot i thought shot was illegal for big game

houndsman12

I think TWRA should take a better look at their regs. A good hog is a DEAD hog, regardless of what you kill it with. I personally don't even care if I recover them as long as they die. Of course now I do my hog killing in SW Arkansas and we can kill them however we want on private land. Even at night as long as you contact the WO first. As far as public land, as long as there is an open season you can hunt them with the weapon legal for that season. Like if squirrel seasons open on the public land then a .22 mag is legal.

Latest posts